We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Complete Novice

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
187 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Complete Novice

Okay, so another complete novice here!

Last year, with the help of TA we organised an amazing trip and are hoping you guys can help us again.

We would have to go in October (possibly early Nov).

Can someone tell me exactly what the weather would be like in October? - I've read all sorts online

about winds and temperatures. Can someone tell me in plain English please just HOW hot should we expect? I mean, would it be hot enough to sunbathe? (Not planning on doing much of that just trying to get an idea of the temp)

I understand from other threads the key sights are:

Table Mountain (foot or cable)

Winelands (an hours drive out?)

Shark Diving

We would like to fly on to Kruger after too.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Complete Novice

Coming from the UK i would do Kruger first. From mid-October temps rapidly rise at Kruger and by November it can be hot&humid. Plus 1st rains may have started early Nov. Plus flight to JBG from UK is shorter. Then fly onto CT. Rains in CT end late October and November is usually lovely with noon-mid afternoon temps around 25C and days rapidly growing in length. This makes a difference when driving to see sights. Then you can fly direct back to UK from CT. easy really. Can you sunbathe in 25C sunshine? I'll let you decide.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
187 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Complete Novice

Thanks for your advice.

I am just worried about the weather because so many websites say the best time to best is Dec-March?

How likely is it to rain at CT in October?

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Complete Novice

The best months are Dec-March

Unlikely to get much rain in October. June-Aug and maybe into Sep is the rainy season.

Bad weather at that time of year is strong wind.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Complete Novice

See tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i32409-Cape_Tow… but you don't have to go to Nandos

Edited: 04 June 2014, 14:34
Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Complete Novice

If you have to do BOTH KNP and CT then mid-oct to mid-Nov is fine. But do KNP first. CT is a windy city. April/May seems to have least wind but check met data.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
187 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Complete Novice

Thanks - so when you say Dec-March is best is that because it's not as Windy? How many hours of daylight do you get during that time?

How likely is there to be strong wind during Oct? I mean, how windy are you talking?

Thanks again

ps- all the way to SA for a Nandos?!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,346 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Complete Novice

This may help with weather related questions for Capetown

worldclimateguide.co.uk/climateguides/southa…

This may help with Kruger related weather questions

worldclimateguide.co.uk/climateguides/southa…

I would recommend that you to decide which location (CPT or Kuger) is your 1st priority, because they are in 2 different weather zones (especially for rain).

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Complete Novice

As a rule of thumb, October and April are often considered the best months for South Africa, because the weather is pleasant for the Western Cape and the Northeast. You can't have great weather in Cape Town and the best game viewing conditions in Kruger at the same time. October is still whale season, if this is of interest.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Complete Novice

South Africa is where Nando's was born :-)

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Complete Novice

Dec to March is the most windy period in Cape Town. Gale force South Easters are the order of the day. Go in Oct as the weather will be much better, occasional rain and not that much wind.