We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Older single female needs advice on early Dec. safari

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Older single female needs advice on early Dec. safari

Dec 2 - 09 want safari possibly Kruger/Imfolozi/Drakensburg, can start either JNB or DUR, could drive but comfort level low with single driving. First thought was to start Durban, up to Imfolozi and the two World Heritage sites, then Kruger. Maybe too much to pack in? Safe to drive? Any advice? Kruger vs private reserves? Prefer lower cost but not camping. Can booking for game drives be done on site or better in advance? Thanks for feedback. Know this needs to be done quickly.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Older single female needs advice on early Dec. safari

Find the lodge that fits into your budget then contact them directly. Most will arrange transport for you from the airport to the lodge.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Older single female needs advice on early Dec. safari

Hi 33nora707,

Firstly, driving from KZN to Kruger is defs too far. You could fly, but to be honest, I might consider basing your safari in and around the Kruger area, potentially split your nights between 2 different lodges, or even a pvt lodge and Kruger NP, although the latter is best done as self drive if you are happy to do this.

Defs decide on a budget. This will assist you in finding a lodge, as there are so many lodges ranging vastly in rates for the more budget conscious to really expensive lodges. Once you have done this, you can either contact the lodge directly or book through an agent who will also be able to assist with the logistics around your safari. Either way, the cost should be the same.

Hope this advise helps.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Older single female needs advice on early Dec. safari

There are enough good moderately priced lodges and camps that don't charge a single supplement, that you should be able to avoid that extra expense. Motswari, nThambo, Kambaku are three that come to mind. And that is www.kambaku.co.za, not kambaku.com, which is a different lodge. I just had a lady client stay at all 3 of these for the past 12 days.. finished today. No single supplement.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
162 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Older single female needs advice on early Dec. safari

I have been to S.A. five times (both self-drive and private tours). Most recently was January 2014; before that May 2013 which I went on with a friend for 4 weeks. I planned everything online except JoBurg to Durban. We had a tour company pick us up in Kruger (after doing a week tour in KP booked by our hotel in JoBurg). Since we didn't want to drive to Durban and there were many sights to see between the two cities, I booked private tour for two with www.tours@cruiselite.co.za. I was so pleased with the service I booked another tour with them this past January for almost four weeks. I suggest that you definitely travel by auto (i.e. tour company) from JNB airport to Kruger Park via Graskop, Blyde River Canyon (not to be missed), Pezula (a treetops lodge near a Kruper Park entrance) and then stay at the accommodations in Kruger Park. The nice feature about Cruiselite is that is customized to your wishes. P.S. I graduated from Boca Ciega in 1960.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,661 posts
5,744 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Older single female needs advice on early Dec. safari

Hello 33nora707

Hope your trip planning is going well. Here is are couple links that might be worth reviewing for Cape Town and your question about what type of Safari to try.

Cape Town Top Attractions (Our Top Attractions)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i32409-Cape_Tow…

Kruger National Park (Self-drive vs. Private Reserve)

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Hope this is helpful and that you enjoy your trip planning. You are going to love South Africa!

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Older single female needs advice on early Dec. safari

OP I see you ask another post whether 'it is safe for a 70yr old woman to self-drive around KNP?' Frankly KNP is the safest place to drive in RSA and just about safest in the world . Everyone crawls along at 30-50kph and place has a record of zero violent crime, hijackings etc. Main highways are where the crazy driving occurs.

7. Re: Older single female needs advice on early Dec. safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 05:16