We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town accommodations

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
293 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Town accommodations

Hi we are planning a trip in November 2015 - looking at renting an apartment for approx 5-7 days. We always find this more relaxing. I have a couple of questions regarding areas for now. What is the difference between V&A waterfront and City Bowl.

We wanted to stay in area that is relatively safe, in the daytime so that we can walk out see some sights, restaurants etc Right now we have no specific feeling for the following apartment hotels as to their locations or repair Only that they seem to fit the budget ( numbers do not represent preference) Some if not all of these places offer concierge service and airport shuttle. We have not reviewed the apartments at all. We had wanted to do a couple of days trips from the location that is selected

1. Icon Apartments - City Bowl

2 Habouredge Apartments

3. The Canal Quay

4. Waterfront Village ( suggested by agency)

We are planning a 21-25 day journey from Canada and would like to spend 5-7 days in this area. This is a work in progress,,, thanks W

Mentioned in this post
Waterfront Village
Waterfront Village
714 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town accommodations

Hi there ..... You just cannot compare the V &A Waterfront to the City Bowl ..... the Waterfront is upmarket and extremely safe ..... close to reliable "My Citi Bus" transport, shops, restaurants, beaches and the list goes on ...... lol .... absolutely fabulous to say the least!

The City Bowl is the area right next to downtown Cape Town City continuing towards the mountain ...... here you cannot walk to shops, restaurants etc and the safety factor is a bit "dodgy" ..... more robbery etc hence I would suggest that you look elsewhere!

I would not suggest "Icon Apartments in the City Bowl or Canal Quay ..... As for Harbour Edge the area is ok but the Waterfront Village is the absolute best although you would be paying much more!

My suggestion is the Waterfront or if you would like something cheaper but just as safe, only not as luxurious then look for accommodation what is known as the "Atlantic Seaboard"!

It is as safe as the Waterfront, close to shops, restaurants, beaches, My Citi Bus, and the list goes on .....

Some areas along the Atlantic Seaboard as follow :-

Mouille Point

Sea Point

Green Point

Three Anchor Bay

Bantry Bay

Clifton

Camps Bay

You can also google "Stayincapetown" and speak to a guy called Koos ..... he has so many properties along the Atlantic Seaboard ..... also asks him about apartment blocks in Green Point called The Legacy .....this is a fairly new block ..... and you could most probably get this for between $70 - $90 / night .....and it has air conditioning. ....

Always confirm that an apartment has air conditioning.

Enjoy and without a doubt ....CAPE TOWN IS AWESOME LOL

Mentioned in this post
Waterfront Village
Waterfront Village
714 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Green Point
Green Point
Cape Town, South Africa
Bantry Bay
Bantry Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
293 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town accommodations

thank you this has helped ,, W

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town accommodations

I have been living in the City Bowl and have not been robbed in those 10 years. Most of the safety issues are common sense that you would apply in any large city.

UK
Level Contributor
350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town accommodations

Whilst we have always stayed at the Waterfront , we have also walked to and around the city during the day and as long as you take usual precautions have felt safe.

We have also used buses and trains , which sometimes are not recommended and again have had no problems and been safe.

I wouldn't however choose to stay in the city area , just because I prefer the views hotels around the Waterfront.

S

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town accommodations

Hi there ..... please do not make use of the train services in Cape Town ...... this is extremely dangerous!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town accommodations

It is imperative to "watch your back" when walking in the city of Cape Town .... leave all valuables in your apartment / hotel ..... also wear limited jewellery etc.

NEVER walk in the city on Saturday afternoons and Sundays ..... it is very isolated during those hours and definitely not SAFE for tourists or locals!

The "Hop On Hop Off" topless red bus is fantastic .....this way you will see the entire City and so much more!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Cape Town
Level Contributor
609 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Town accommodations

Sorry, I live in Cape Town and have to disagree strongly with some of the comments above. It is definitely not as unsafe as some posters are saying - you can (and I do) walk around the city on your own with no problems. Late at night is dodgy, but during the day it is absolutely OK. Most of the suburban trains are perfectly safe as well, such as the popular Cape Town-Muizenberg-Kalk Bay-Fish Hoek-Simon's Town route - thousands of people (including women alone) travel on this line every single day. There are a couple of lines that you need to be careful on, but these are not routes that you would take. The train to Simon's Town is a great trip and perfectly safe.

Exercise reasonable caution (not paranoia) and you'll be fine. Walk, take trains, take buses and enjoy CT. Do not be put off be the hysterical "It's too dangerous to go out" brigade.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Simon's Town
Simon's Town
Cape Town, South Africa
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
293 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Town accommodations

thank you I would agree when traveling anywhere that you are not familiar with to exercise good sense. We are seasoned and exercise caution in areas we are not familiar with. A convenient location is what we are looking for so that we are not out somewhere where we would have to take a car or taxi all the time.

We were looking at the hop on and off bus ( used in many cities and sometimes gone around twice) for local flavour. Public transportation is always something that review it took two trips to London before I went on their underground. So although we are curious travellers I still like to know where I am going.

I would like to stay a week in Cape Town to get a feel for it - you never know when you are coming back. Hotel rooms for the duration of the trip can be cramped when you are out all day and want to relax in the evening.

We would like to take a couple of days trips outside of Cape Town ( with guide or day tour groups) as well if anyone has suggestions ( not shark diving :) Many thanks for all of the comments and assistance.

We are looking to see the usual tour for first timers it is the "hows" we need to sort out for CT we feel it does not need to be part of a tour itinerary - Kruger (4-5 days) will be a pick up in JB ( transfer nights however I would like to see about a couple of day tours and maybe a visit to Pretoria) so here is some unallocated time Then VF with maybe a 3-4 days in a lodge and hopefully we can fit Chobe in at that point. When looking at Victoria Falls the question becomes do we stay inside or outside with a visit to the falls.

Everything is about time and money. We are now planning for November 2015 we are booked up for spring 2015 and spent this years money :) so I will be visiting some of the forums to try and get a plan together.

Any suggestions are helpful - I have used this TA for quite a few trips. Thanks W

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Town accommodations

Wimpeney needs to get out more.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Town accommodations

Hello W ..... Some people obviously are not paying attention to what I am saying ...... Cape Town is safe during the day .... however you still have to watch your back .... I have a personal friend living in the UK who got robbed not once but twice .... and he was NOT alone!

What I am saying is .....Walking in Cape Town on a Saturday afternoon and on a Sunday is NOT NEGOTIABLE!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town