We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Table Bay Hotel to Table Mountain

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Table Bay Hotel to Table Mountain

Hi there! My husband and I will be in Cape Town at the end of September. We have 3 full days and a half day there. We are thinking about doing a private tour with PG Tops to visit the Cape Peninsula one day, a whale watching trip with a visit to the cheetah sanctuary another day, a half day in the wine country (which was already preplanned with our trip), and the half day that we arrive from the airport.

My question is, do we need to book a tour to take us to the Table Mountain Cable Cars, our would taking a taxi be reasonable and safe? We are staying at the Table Bay Hotel. Would a half day be doable for Table Mountain?

Thanks, and I look forward to your input!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,352 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Table Bay Hotel to Table Mountain

Yes.. take a taxi, and go online and get your ticket before you go. Then, you can go right to the line to board the cable car. Half day is plenty of time. You could use the HopOn HopOff Red Line bus to go there and back if you want to. Maybe Hop Off somewhere else on your return to the Waterfront. http://www.citysightseeing.co.za/capeTown.php

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Table Bay Hotel to Table Mountain

Taxi it is! Thank you so much for your input!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
50 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Table Bay Hotel to Table Mountain

As Dave says, catch a taxi - no problem (the Table Bay hotel will definitely have plenty for you!), or the red city Hop On Hop Off bus which will drop you right there and give a commentary on the way. But be sure to book your Table Mt ticket online (think it's valid for a week) so you don't have to queue. The lines can be very long on a good day. Also, depending on how fixed your trips are, if the weather is good GO UP THE MOUNTAIN! The weather can change fast, and if the "table cloth" cloud is on the mountain you won't see much once you get up there. You only need about 2 hours for Table Mountain, definitely not half a day. It's very close to the city.

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Table Bay Hotel to Table Mountain

Taxi is absolutely fine. When I am in CT, I use the Uber App (taxi service - no need to carry cash - highly recommend this!!!) or Sport Taxis (the red ones).

Warm regards

Jacqui

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Table Bay Hotel to Table Mountain

Thanks guys for the advice! We will definitely take a taxi (or Uber) and buy tickets online before we go! Thanks again!

6. Re: Getting from Table Bay Hotel to Table Mountain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 06:17