We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
houston
Level Contributor
34 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay

Is it best to stay in downtown Cape Town or outside the city? Some one suggested Monkey Lodge but it is an hour from CT.

London, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay

That depends entirely on what you are looking for when you go on holiday...do you rather want to be in the centre of it all, close to a variety of bars, clubs, cafes and restaurants....do you prefer staying at the beach....do you rather like small villages that are more quiet and relaxed?

There are numerous options of nice places to stay in Cape Town and the surrounds of Cape Town...so just ask yourself a few questions and then decide... :)

houston
Level Contributor
34 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay

I prefer to be able to be near the main sights. I do not care to stay on the beach all day. I just do not want to drive one hour to get to CT.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay

Hi Mach, then Monkey Lodge will be too far out for you.

The "tourist" centre of Cape Town is the V&A Waterfront. This is right in Cape Town but has hotels and self catering accomodation available right there. Most of the tourist things leave from there, for instance the hop on hop off bus, the trip to Robben Island etc. There are also helicopter trips leaving from there.

The Waterfront is always buzzing with activity, here is a web site where you can read about it, just be aware that the photo on the top of the web page of the colourful beach boxes has NOTHING to do with the Waterfront and is actually a photo of beach boxes on Muizenberg beach (go figure) www.capespirit.com/capetownwaterfront.html

Ah, found the actual website which is what I was looking for:

http://www.waterfront.co.za/

There are other options of places to stay other than City Centre if you don't like the sound of the Waterfront, many people have been very happy with Camps Bay, then there is Sea Point, Green Point and Gardens or Oranjezicht.. A bit furthere out, but still only 15 minutes drive to city centre is Milnerton - this is not nearly as upmarket though.

Please ask some more questions so that I know exactly what sort of places you're interested in.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
213 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay

The Commodore on the Waterfront is a brilliant hotel. We walked to and from the Waterfront restaurants late at night and it was perfectly safe and took taxi's into the city when we were eating there. Brilliant location and brilliant staff who'll literally point you in the right direction.

Bee

houston
Level Contributor
34 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay

I do like the sound of the Waterfront.....WOuld you suggest a good travel agency that can help me with the bookings for the lodges and CT?

london
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay

this sight has helped us plan our trip in january. Technobabe has been really great, telling me sights to go on. We are going to book the Portwood hote in Cape town, we have done our whole trip through go2africa, a lady called Janine has been so helpful and very patient with me, are you travelling from uk. go2africa worked out our whole trip £1000,00 cheaper than most companies, and really nice places to stay. We are doing vic falls, Garden route, winlands on to cape. Cant wait!

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay

Thanks for your kind comment Wilson.

I hope you have a wondeful holiday Mach. Happy to help in anyway if I can.

8. Re: where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 20:16