We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Hollow or Lady Hamilton Hote

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
england
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Hollow or Lady Hamilton Hote

Both have been recommnded but which is best for a couple and elderly but mobile parent.spending 3 days CT, 2 in wine area, 3 Garden Route and another 2 in CT. Any recommendations gratefully received

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Hollow or Lady Hamilton Hote

Hi, The Cape Hollow is situated in Queen Victoria Street which is just opposite the Company Gardens and the Museum and Art Gallery. If you're interested in these things, this may suit you better. There are a certain number of vagrants that inhabit the company gardens, so I would not suggest your elderly relative walk alone there, but otherwise, I've never ever been bothered by them, just take obvious precautions.

I also see this hotel has a lot of very positive reviews.

I'm afraid I don't have personal experience of either, just thinking about location. One thing comes to mind and that is elevators or as we call them here "lifts". Please email both hotels and enquire whether there are elevators as this could impact negatively on your stay if there are not.

england
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Hollow or Lady Hamilton Hote

thanks for your advice.Cape Hollow gets a good write up as you say but can't find much on Lady Hamilton.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Hollow or Lady Hamilton Hote

what were you hoping for from your hotel?

What sort of things are you wanting to do while here and will you have a car?

I'm not sure if you've been to Cape Town before, and whether you will be wanting to spend much time in the hotel or whether you are wanting to be out and about.

Not sure of your budget, but have you looked at the Mount Nelson hotel? I was thinking about your elderly parent, and this hotel would be a place where if she did not feel like rushing aroung site seeing, she could have a marvellous afternoon by herself, enjoying high tea (on a Friday they have a wonderful pianist as well) such a lot of scrumptious food at the high tea - cost was R100 last time I went, not sure now. They have really beautiful secure grounds with a swimming pool and lovely garden with chairs and chaise longues that she could sit and read or watch the squirells. This hotel is sort of like taking a step back to Colonial times.

The other option is the Water Front where there is a vast choice of hotels.

If you could tell me a bit more of what you're looking for, perhaps I could be more helpful.

england
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Hollow or Lady Hamilton Hote

Hi , thanks for your reply. We will want to be out most of the time, probably one day city tour, table mountain etc and another day to cape point. The last 2 nights will be at the end of our holiday so will re-visit the areas we like best and relax before the long flight home. We don't intend driving much in the city.

this is our first time in CT and I am finding it difficult to work out which location is best. We definitely do not want to be too remote.

Mount Nelson would be ideal but 2 rooms would be beyond our budget. Probably thinking around 1800-2000 rand per night in total

thanks again

marjoh

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Hollow or Lady Hamilton Hote

Hello again,

I think that if you will not be hiring a car, you may actually be better off in the Waterfront, there is a wealth of hotels to choose from and I have not really seen a bad review of any, obviously, the more pricey, the more luxurious, but they all seem nice. Here is a clickable map of the area, with all the hotels, listed on it. Look for those IN the Waterfront, not just outside, as your relative may not enjoy having to take the shuttle all the time and the price difference is not huge.

cybercapetown.com/WesternCape/…

If you look on the map, there is a circle, you would want to look at the hotels closer to the water from the circle. those outside the circle are just outside the actual Waterfront area, and although still very nice, I don't think entirely suitable for your present needs.

The reason I'm suggesting the Waterfront is that nearly all the tours leave from there, plus trips to Robben Island and helicopter trips etc. It is also a fairly safe area with lots of shopping malls and an entertainment area with things going on, so all in all probably closer to your needs.

If there are lots of spelling errors, i apologise, have just got new multi focal lense spectacles and having a bit of a problem seeing well!

england
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Hollow or Lady Hamilton Hote

great map and website. Just looked at some apartments which look good. What do you thoink of location in terms of convenience and safety? Looks as though they are within budget as well.

Waterfront Village

West Quay Road, V&A Waterfront

Don't give up on your new specs. I wear contacts and specs and still struggle to see!!

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Hollow or Lady Hamilton Hote

Hi again, I don;t know the place personally, but looked it up on the internet. the area that it is situated is excellent. The Cape Grace is one of the best hotels in the Cape, if not the whole of South Africa, and i see it is right next door.

Good Luck with all this, hope it goes well, please let me know if I can help in any other way.

8. Re: Cape Hollow or Lady Hamilton Hote

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 17:22
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central