We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hermanus to Knysna - Break Journey?

India
Level Contributor
163 posts
486 reviews
Save Topic
Hermanus to Knysna - Break Journey?

Hello all

I am planning to drive down from Hermanus after a morning of sea kayaking and head towards Knysna. I plan to visit Agulhas and Struisbaai enroute. Will there be a chance of feeding the sting rays in Struisbaai? What is the approx time of this activity?

Should I spend the night in Mossel Bay and continue to Knysna the next day or will I have enough time to make it to Knysna the same night? I don't want to rush anything and don't mind spending the night either in Mossel Bay or George instead of driving in the dark.

Any other reccomendation is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
29 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hermanus to Knysna - Break Journey?

Hi

It depends on 2 factors - what time of year you're traveling and what time of the morning you're planning on leaving Hermanus. Normally it would take you approximately 4 - 5 hours so if you're traveling in our winter months and leave Hermanus at 11am I'd suggest you overnight in either Mossel Bay or George.

I'd also double check the sting ray activity because I don't think it's operational any longer.

Hope this helps

Jenni | Owner | Southey Travel

India
Level Contributor
163 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hermanus to Knysna - Break Journey?

Thanks Jenni.

I missed mentioning that I will be travelling in July'17. Will check up on the sting ray feeding but can't really find much info online.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
673 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hermanus to Knysna - Break Journey?

It's quite a long detour down to Agulhas so this will take time. Even so, you could still make Knysna in one day. But if you want to take your time, stop and look then you could stay over anywhere from Mossel Bay east. Mossel Bay is not really on the tourist route but it has a very nice, underrated beach and you can stay in permanently-parked train right on the beach, the Santos Express. Cheap, cheerful and unusual:

www.santosexpress.co.za

booking.com/hotel/za/santos-express-mossel-b…

Edited: 16 June 2017, 11:33
India
Level Contributor
163 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hermanus to Knysna - Break Journey?

Thanks SA-BackPacker. I did consider the Santos express but they don't have ensuite available on my dates...so will have to look for something else. Anyway n July since its going to be cold, swimming is a no go.

I don't want to push too much and make it to Knysna but wondering if I can make it to George the same day...

Cape Town
Level Contributor
673 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hermanus to Knysna - Break Journey?

#4 : The Santos Express train doesn't have en-suite rooms at all because it is a set of train coaches. Each "room" is a sleeper compartment with 2 bunk beds. The shower and toilet are shared and are at the ends of each carriage.

You could definitely make George - the road from Mossel Bay east is excellent, wide and fast. George is a bit of a soulless place but it has loads of places to stay/eat.

India
Level Contributor
163 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hermanus to Knysna - Break Journey?

The Honeymoon Caboose and Royal Suites are ensuite.

Anyway I am now considering heading upto George instead of staying over at Mossel Bay as I also read somewhere that the town shuts around 7pm so don't want to be stuck without dinner...especially when in just another 40 mins or so I can reach George.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
673 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hermanus to Knysna - Break Journey?

#6 - sorry, I didn't know about those en-suite rooms. Thanks for the info, and enjoy your trip!

India
Level Contributor
163 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hermanus to Knysna - Break Journey?

Np and thanks for the wishes. Had a fab trip.

BTW the sting ray still visit Struisbaai some days. I broke journey in Mossel Bay and it turned out a blessing in disguise as we could go shark diving...the sharks were here and only in Mossel Bay :-)

9. Re: Hermanus to Knysna - Break Journey?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2018, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Hermanus