We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whales in South Africa

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Whales in South Africa

Hi, we r heading from Port Elisabeth to Capetown on 15-19 July. Wondering whether to stop at Hermanus for whale watching. Also beating in mind weather, would Kynsa be worth goungbyo

Mentioned in this post
Hermanus
Hermanus
Overstrand, South Africa
4 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,914 posts
617 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whales in South Africa

Are you driving that in one go, or are you taking 4 days to drive there?

I have seen plenty of photos of whales in Walker Bay recently, so if it's a nice day, with no too much wind, then it's definitely worht a visit to see the whales. I would say that it is always worth a visist to Hermanus, as I really like the town! But if the sea is really choppy, it's much harder to see the whales.

Mentioned in this post
Hermanus
Hermanus
Overstrand, South Africa
Aldbourne, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whales in South Africa

Last week while walking Hermanus cliff walk, looking through binoculars towards De Kelders, pretty darn sure I spotted two Orcas jumping up and down. The usual boats went right down by the dunes to see other whales while I was watching the Orcas that were 2 km up the coast from them...anyone else heard or seen Orcas here?...I don't think I dreamt it!!

Been a long time since I've spotted whales actually at Hermanus..they're always way over in DeKelders. I think the days of Hermanus being the whale watching "capital" might be numbered when people find out that even according to locals there's not been many about at Hermanus in recent years, but the local businesses thrive on the whale story...so they won't admit to it.

Mentioned in this post
Hermanus
Hermanus
Overstrand, South Africa
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,914 posts
617 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whales in South Africa

I saw lots two years ago, just by Gearing Point, probablya dozen. But last year I saw none.

But I have seen photos of them from Hermanus this year and my friends in Vermont have seen them from their house. Let's hope the numbers will be increased for this year.

But I agree, you are more likely to seem them closer to the shore line in De Kelders

Mentioned in this post
Hermanus
Hermanus
Overstrand, South Africa
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Whales in South Africa

Hi, I went there with my family in october this year (2017) and I saw lots of whales, very close to the shore. On the sign I saw that there are definitively also killer whales/orca's. I saw around 20 southern right whales in just 1 day!

Reply to: Whales in South Africa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted