We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching company suggestion and time of day

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
25 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching company suggestion and time of day

The wife and I are planning to drive from Cape Town and stay in Hermanus for 2 nights. I wanted to get some suggestions on which company to use for whale watching. I was thinking of using Walker Bay Adventures since I can also do shark cage diving with them. Also, what is a good time of the day for whale viewing.

I have also read De Kelders being better than Hermanus for whale population, any suggestions?

BTW, thanks Lisaplaces for the comments in other posts.

6 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
5,151 posts
621 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching company suggestion and time of day

Hi

De Kelders is better for shore based whale watching, as the whales come much closer to the shoreline.

Sorry can't help you with boats, as I've never been, sea sickness!! But they all head out into Walker Bay.

Good news that the whales seem to be back.

Lisa

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching company suggestion and time of day

Walker Bay Adventures are reselling trips by other operators. They don't have their own whale or shark diving boats. They do organise the kayaking themselves which is great.

From Hermanus I prefer Southern Right Charters for whale watching.

For Shark cage diving in Gansbaai personally I think Marine Dynamics are the best. You can also do whale watching in Gansbaai on Ivanhoe. The eco tour with Dyer Island Conservation Trust is also great.

3. Re: Whale watching company suggestion and time of day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 July 2017, 19:35

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
5,151 posts
621 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching company suggestion and time of day

Percy Tours

I feel you may be advertising here! Your post will no doubt disappear

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watching company suggestion and time of day

I also second the choice of Southern Right Charters which operates from Hermanus. Alternatively, you can also have a look at Hermanus Whale Cruises if the first one does not availability.

All the best!

Hank Daries I Owner @ Ulungele Tours & Safari's I Cape Town

6. Re: Whale watching company suggestion and time of day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2018, 08:00

Reply to: Whale watching company suggestion and time of day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hermanus
Recent Conversations