We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another SharkCage question please

Which Hermanus hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Another SharkCage question please

I am doing exactly the same thing in Nov, 2 nights at Oceans Eleven and would also like to do a shark dive, but I would rather take the shark dive from Cape Town where I am staying longer. So my questions are:

1. Can you do the shark dive from Cape Town (do they just take you to Gansbaai anyway).

2. Is there much to see or do in Hermanus (I suppose I will be there 1.5 days in total), rather than using an entire day on a shark dive. (I'm not really a walker, I'm more sit on the sundeck and say oh look there's a whale).

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Another SharkCage question please

Chris Fellowes, the doyen of Great White Sharks in the Cape operates out of Simonstown which is very much closer to Cape Town than the Gansbaai and Klein Baai operators. I have not used him so cannot vouch for his quality but I think he is worth investigating. I personally don't think shark cage diving is ecologically sound and suggest whale watching instead but I am sure I will get a lot of flack for saying this.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,283 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Another SharkCage question please

Chris Fellows has indeed set THE photographic standards for showing us behaviors of Great White Sharks. The shark boat operation at Simonstown in False Bay is owned and run by Rob Lawrence, who worked with Chris during the now famous series of videos and still photographs where they revealed to all of us the incredible hunting and leaping technique the shark can use. It is more convenient for Cape Town visitors, but also $50 to $60 more p.p. than the Gansbaai boats charge Cape Town visitors whom they shuttle back and forth from the city to their boats. If the sharks are as reliably 'there' for you to see in False Bay as they are from the Gansbaai boats, I don't know.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Another SharkCage question please

There are no shark dives from Cape Town. There is either the Simonstown option which is not far from Cape Town or the other operators who take you to Gansbaai/Kleinbaai.

The viewing of Whales from Hermanus is excellent and does not require walking. There is not much else to do there but relax and go to the beach. There is also a lovely walk along the cliffs. You will be there at the end of the Whale season and numbers may by then be less than there are now

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Another SharkCage question please

White Shark Ecoventures looks great, has anyone been with then and not been in the water? I am desparate to do this but my husband is having none of it ;-) So i wanted to be sure that he would still enjoy himself. How long were you out in the boat as well? Thanks Em x

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Another SharkCage question please

It takes more than ½ hr from CT to Gansbaai !!

16. Re: Another SharkCage question please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2010, 05:17