We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching Boat Trip

NJ
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Topic
Whale Watching Boat Trip

We are considering a whale watching boat trip in August as part of a day trip to Hermanus from Cape Town. I understand that there are a couple of licensed operators out of Gansbaai. Has anyone had experience with either Ivanhoe or Dyer Island Cruises? Any comparisons? What time of day do they usually leave? If the weather is bad, do they delay the departure or cancel?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
259 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching Boat Trip

I used dyer island cruises and they were fine, /the boat left about 9-30am and lasts 2-1/2 hours and was a very memorable trip which I would definitely do again. Not sure about the cancellation policy though I am certain they would rearrange for the next day if there was any issues with the weather

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching Boat Trip

there are also whale watching boats that operate from Hermanus in the new harbour.

Mark

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching Boat Trip

Hi,

I went with Dyer Island Cruises last year, and they were fine.I went for a shark cage dive as well as a whale watch trip. The whale watching was in the afternoon and shark cage diving in the morning. If the weather is bad, they usually cancel, I think. We had heard it happened to a party the previous day. They will give you another trip the next day, but not sure about a refund. Best to write them.

One thing to note-if you are doing a Gaansbai trip, there might not be much time in Hermanus. We stayed 2 nights in Hermanus, and though its only 40mins away to Gaansbai, the whole trip takes up most of the day.

Bournemouth, Dorset
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Watching Boat Trip

I was one of the unfortunate people that hit a bad spell of weather last year.Dyer Island cruises did not charge me.

On day one we were rebooked on to the trip going the next day. It was still too rough so were booked onto the morning boat of day 3. Still rough so were offered afternoon boat of day 3 but our schedule didn't allow us time. Boats are pulled onshore in rough weather and are relaunched by tractor so need relatively calm water.

They will keep you fully informed of the latest information. Its handy to have a cell phone for them to contact.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Watching Boat Trip

Excellent boat based operators from Hermanus are Southern Right Charters. You can contact Gail direct on 0822350550 or if you like you can contact me to take you from Cape Town to the departure point and after the boat trip do some land based whale spotting which is also an excellent option, especially at that time of the year. I will also show you a bit more of the area than whales.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Watching Boat Trip

I know them all - since I live right on Walker Bay myself in De Kelders, next to Gansbaai. Best of the lot for whales, by far, is Ivanhoe Sea Safaris - http://www.whalewatchingsa.co.za/

They are licensed to be the only boat allowed in the very best part of the Bay for whale viewing. In fact, their founder, Rudy Hughes, created the concept of licensed boats. Dyer Island cruises has an entertaining concept since it goes out of the same harbor as the shark boats and goes near the island - but for whales, Walker Bay, Ivanhoe Sea Safaris. Nothing as good.

Dave Patterson - Owner, The Africa Safari

UK & South Africa
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale Watching Boat Trip

Hi,

I am not sure if you have already left on your trip.

I can recommend Dyer Island Cruises, they are a friendly and well run business, who also belong to Fair Trade in Tourism South Africa, meaning that profits get put into community and conservation development. It is well worth visiting their website and looking at what they do behind the scenes.

The experience is amazing with some exceptional sightings. If the weather is not good and they have your contact number (they request this with booking) they will call and reschedule based on the weather forecarst - hence, don't book your trip for your last day in the Cape or SA - rather your first or second day, just in case.

All the best

Tolene

tolene@tcrepresentation.com

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale Watching Boat Trip

Hi Dave, i saw that you recommended Ivanhoe Sea Safaris as the best whale watching firm for Hermanus area. We will be there earlyish Nov and i was wondering if you would recommend booking with them before we left the UK. Thanks Em x

9. Re: Whale Watching Boat Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Hermanus
Recent Conversations