We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whales this month?

Which Hermanus hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Whales this month?

We're headed to Cape Town from June 21-25 and were planning to drive out to Hermanus for an afternoon. Anyone seen whales yet this June? Anyone think we've got a decent chance of seeing any while we're there? Thanks guys!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whales this month?

Still a bit early but there is a chance - either around the Cape Peninsula or over in Walker Bay (Hermanus and De Kelders).

Best to check the status closer the time. Some of the early arrivals sometimes tend to hang around for a few days and then move on. So the status right now may not give much indication. You will probably be around the peninsula anyway, so you will see what youwill see. But check before heading down to Hermanus - it can be pretty bleak there in mid winter if there are no whales to see - unless you also plan to go Shark Diving?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whales this month?

Not really planning to shark dive, so maybe we should skip the Hermanus day trip unless we know there are whales to be seen. (There are so many places to go in Cape Town and the surrounding region.) Is there a website you recommend to check to keep track of whale sightings?

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whales this month?

I saw 2 Southern Rights in the bay last week, which was quite early. They were sighted the following day as well but as far as I have heard they haven't been seen since, so not sure if they stuck around. Maybe you could bump this thread back to the top a day before you go, and I can update if more have arrived and save you a wasted journey.

4. Re: Whales this month?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 June 2011, 11:35
New York, NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whales this month?

Hi -- bumping at the last poster's suggestion. We arrive in Cape Town on Tuesday and are still trying to decide if a trip to Hermanus to see whales is worthwhile -- any word from locals on whether there are whales to be seen there these days? Thanks in advance!

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whales this month?

I've seen the odd one or two here and there. The whale watching boats were out the other day but I am not sure what luck they had. They were more over towards De Kelders so maybe someone from that side can say if they have more whales over there. I personally don't think the few small whale sightings so far this season are worth a trip from Cape Town but if you are already planning a trip through then you may get lucky. I think we need a few more weeks till the main whales arrive

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whales this month?

Hi,

I'm planing to go to Hermanus this weekend 8th July but... has anyone seen whales already? or is still bit early? I'm so keen to see them :)

Thanks

8. Re: Whales this month?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 17:16