We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town to Hermanus- Lunch at a Good Vineyard?

Which Hermanus hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
fensterbattersea
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Town to Hermanus- Lunch at a Good Vineyard?

Hello

we are planning the finer details of our trip in November...

Currently we have 4 nights in cape town, 2 nights in hermanus and then 2 days 2 nights in Stellenbosch and fly out the next day....

the accomodation is fixed...

and we were just wondering whether someone could recommend a Vineyard with good reputation for wine, food, views etc that we could visit for lunch on route from

cape town to hermanus? even it means a detour...

thanks in advance

Swellendam, South...
Level Contributor
173 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town to Hermanus- Lunch at a Good Vineyard?

Hello there

I see that nobody has responded to you yet! Do you still need some advice or are you travelling already?

Warmest Regards,

Alison

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town to Hermanus- Lunch at a Good Vineyard?

Hi,

Close to Hermanus in the Hemel en Aarde Valley is a very nice, small restaurant

called "Heaven". It is situated on the Newton Johnson Wine Estate, has sweeping views over a wine-filled valley. Breakfast and lunch only. Closed Mondays.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town to Hermanus- Lunch at a Good Vineyard?

Well, just outside Hermanus there's a lovely restaurant called Mariana's that I would personally recommend. Check the reviews on Trip Advisor itself on

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1187779…

However, if you decide to go, make sure you give them a call to check if they have a table available. Their get booked up very quickly.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town to Hermanus- Lunch at a Good Vineyard?

Hi,

Stanford is not a wine area; the poster is looking for a good restaurant in a Vineyard, with a good reputation for wine and views.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town to Hermanus- Lunch at a Good Vineyard?

Although it maybe a bit too close to Cape Town, Waterkloof just past Somerset West, meets all your requirements - wines, views and outstanding food. See: http://www.waterkloofwines.co.za/

Closer to Hermanus, I agree, Heaven is the place, or if you don't mind a few more k on an untarred road then consider Creation Wines

http://www.creationwines.com/index.php

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
506 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town to Hermanus- Lunch at a Good Vineyard?

Hi Tourist Guide

Stanford does have some wineries - Raka, Brunia, Stanford Hills, Robert Stanford. However, it is not as famous for its wineries as the Hemel en Arde Valley close by and a bit out of the way en route from CT to Hermanus . But saying that, Mariana's is a fabulous place for a long lazy lunch with fabulous food. On my next visit, planning on staying in Stanford, just so we can have lunch at Mariana's again. Only open Thursday to Sunday for lunch only.

Agree with Macsym about Creation for wines, views and food. Also Waterkloof - didn't actually eat there but spectacular tasting room and wonderful views out to False Bay

However, I did reply to the OPs same question posted on Franschhoek forum and neither post have had any responses!!

Lisa

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Town to Hermanus- Lunch at a Good Vineyard?

Thanks for that interesting information - looks as though Stanford will be on my list for the next visit. Have never heard of Stanford wines! There is a brewery close by (Birkenhead) - seems as though the area is developing nicely.

Hope you enjoy your Stanford visit and will write some interesting reviews.

8. Re: Cape Town to Hermanus- Lunch at a Good Vineyard?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 November 2011, 14:05
London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Town to Hermanus- Lunch at a Good Vineyard?

Hi again, about Marianas and my suggestion of earlier on to go there, I just wanted to add that both Mariana herself and her husband (he's one of the waiters) are very friendly and will be happy to advise you on the best local wines to go with their food (as they did with us). They tend to get their ingredients from local farms, so they know the area well. Stanford is a bit off the beaten track when it comes to tourism, but there are definitely wineries in that area too.

10. Re: Cape Town to Hermanus- Lunch at a Good Vineyard?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2012, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Hermanus