We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whales

Which Hermanus hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Wales
9 posts
Save Topic
whales

We are lucky enough to be staying in Capetown for 3 nights early October. Whilst there, I am really looking hoping to be able to see some whales. From reading some of the reviews I gather that Hermanus is a good place to see them from the shore. Can anyone advise whether this is the case and what would be the best way to get there from Capetown (we don't really want to hire a car)- hopefully its not too far to travel. Is a sighting likely at this time of the year?

Any other suggestions would be apprciated. Many thanks

California
Level Contributor
688 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: whales

How is whale watching in the end of July? Will we be able to see them from the shore? Should we go to Gansbaai, instead?

Thanks!

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,603 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: whales

I don't think there will be much difference between Gaansbai and Hermanus, but I think the first whales arrive in the area in June so you should be alright at the end of July. September and October are the peak months, though. I don't know how easy it is to find whales earlier in the season. Good luck.

cape town
Level Contributor
35 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: whales

There is a definite difference between Gansbaai and Hermanus. Hermanus is a must-see for whales, being the Whale Capital of South Africa and also offering the best land-based whale watching in the world, which means that you can see them from the cliffs without having to go out on a boat. Whale-watching gets better each month from May, and they are to be seen until December. Gansbaai is shark-cage diving territory.

California
Level Contributor
688 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: whales

Got it. It sounds like we don't need to book a whale watching trip, as we can see it from the shore. Is there any reason to go on a boat trip?

Thanks!

cape town
Level Contributor
35 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: whales

No reason at all!. If you read earlier correspondence on this Forum, you will read that I have actively discouraged boat-based whale watching in Hermanus.

California
Level Contributor
688 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: whales

What about the ones that say they are doing research on whales? T

cape town
Level Contributor
35 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: whales

I live in the area, and have never heard of any whale-watching boat companies making the claim to be doing research. They are all just out to make money! The research is done by means of annual aerial surveys, to count the number of whales and to check whether the same whales return year on year.