We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knysna or Hermanus

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Knysna or Hermanus

We are hiring a car at the end of our 10 day walking holiday to drive back from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town along the Garden Route. Would it be better to spend two nights in Knysna and one in Hermanus or one in Knysna and two in Hermanus? We will be making the trip in early October and have four days to get to Cape Town. All suggestions gratefully received

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Knysna or Hermanus

I'd do 1 in Knysna and 2 in Hermanus, mainly so I could spend time doing land-based whale watching from the rocks that jut into the bay. But that's just me.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Knysna or Hermanus

I would rather do two nights in Knysna than Hermanus. There is some much to see & do around Knysna & it is a very beautiful area. Hermanus is great but I wouldn't stay there for two nights.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
37 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Knysna or Hermanus

I agree with Steveb108 we prefer Harmanus to Knysna but everyone has different views but my vote is definatley Harmanus

Have a great trip the whales are amazing in Harmanus I never tire of watching them they are so close to the shore.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Knysna or Hermanus

Hi there

It is quite a complicated one. If your are into whales then i would also say 1night Knysna and 2nights Hermanus. But if your are not and are into sight seeing then i would say 2nights Knysna and 1night Hermanus. Within 1night staying in Hermanus you will have more than enough time to see the whales for both the days. You will be arriving quite late the afternoon but with still enough time to spot them and then some more the next morning. I would then also suggest to get accommodation very close to the shore, within walking distance.

Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Knysna or Hermanus

Thanks steveb108

I love whales too which is why I want to stop off at Hermanus. Are there any less crowded places from which to do a bit of 'spotting'?

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Knysna or Hermanus

Witsand is a small bay between Knysna & Hermanus which is not very touristy.

Have a look at De Hoop Nature Reserve, also De Kelders.

In Cape Town some of the best land based places are the Clovelly end of Fish Hoek & at Glencairn when the tide is in.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Knysna or Hermanus

Jacciram, I was there the first few days of October and stayed at the Auberge Burgundy, which I liked for its price and location (hop,skip and jump from the bay, just about literally). I could park the car and forget about it. At night it's an easy walk to restaurants.

I avoid crowds as much as possible, but when I was there I didn't find it crowded. If I wanted to be totally, or almost totally, alone, I would walk toward the left (facing the bay) about a mile down to rocks that jutted into the bay (where I got a couple of fairly close-up shots of mom and calf).

Here's a link to some photos. The time was roughly somewhere between Oct. 2-5.

https:/…

Newcastle
Level Contributor
7 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Knysna or Hermanus

If you spend 2 nights in Knysna you could visit Buffalo Bay which is absolutely beautiful. If you're into hostels there's an amazing backpacker hostel right on the beach. You can also hire a boat somewhere near Knysna and navigate the estury - I can't remember the details but can find them if you're interested.

I've spent loads of time in Hermanus and it is amazing too - I think either choice is great so I wouldn't worry too much!

Mel

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Knysna or Hermanus

If it was me I would stay 2 in Knysna and 1 in Hermanus. Knysna is very close to the bungi jump at Bleukrans bridge, storms river, Plettenburg Bay and only an hour from George. There is plenty to see round about. As for Hermanus - yes it is a small town so there are loads of restaurants but we much prefer De Kelders, the other side of Walker Bay, but there is not much there but loads of spots for viewing whales. We stayed at Whalesong Lodge and you could sit on the terrace and watch the wales only a few yards away. The most local restaurant is a walk away or sometimes they cook an evening meal at Whalesong. Added to that, De kelders is really quiet whilst Knysna has much more bustle.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,065 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Knysna or Hermanus

Hi

If it is your first trip, then I would spend 2 nights in Knysna and I night in Hermanus. Only becasue there is so much to see around Knysna and the Garden Route. You can take a trip around the lagoon, go to Featherbed Reserve, make the short drive to Plettenberg Bay......But regulars on here know that I love the Overberg, especially the coast. I agree with Joyce that de Kelders is the place to see whales, although it is very quiet and not many places to eat on a night. We ended up eating in Gansbaii, which is less than 10 minutes drive away, but still a drive. I have chosen to stay just outside Hermanus this time on the cliffs near Grotto Beach, so way from the hustle and bustle of Hermanus but very close to the whales (hopefully!)

But which ever you choose, you won't be disappointed

Lisa