We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservations for Whale Watching in Hermanus in late June?

Boone, North...
Level Contributor
17 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Reservations for Whale Watching in Hermanus in late June?

Greetings all. I am looking for advice from some more experienced travelers....We will be passing through Hermanus in late June, and would love more than anything to see whales. I'm wondering if I should make a reservation now, knowing that the whales might not have "come to town" by then. Does anyone know if the companies refund your money if no whales are spotted?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Mentioned in this post
Hermanus
Hermanus
Overstrand, South Africa
Whale Watching Hermanus
Dolphin & Whale Watching
Neptune's Divers Hermanus
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Percy Tours
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Shark Diving, Safaris
Southern Right Charters
Dolphin & Whale Watching
Bingham, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservations for Whale Watching in Hermanus in late June?

I think that late June is too early to see whales.they usually arrive later August,September ish . There are two whale watching boats operating from the harbour, but when the whales arrive they can be watched from the shore very easily, as the swim very close and there is a small cliff to give optimum viewing,but you may see many dolphins charging about.

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservations for Whale Watching in Hermanus in late June?

As previously stated, whales calf in spring /summer. That's when they are around.

June is mid winter ...... so I doubt that you will be in luck. There is a whale watch hot line 083 910 1028 , but once again I think it operates seasonally only.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,653 posts
607 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reservations for Whale Watching in Hermanus in late June?

Hi

Maybe someone more local can advise, but I thought he whales usually start arriving in May? Of course they are much more prolific in August/September/October

I was there at the end of the season last year - in late November and we saw lots of whales, so you will probably see some in June

You have the best chance from a boat, as they can go further into the bay to find them. But June is winter so the sea may be rough!!

Lisa

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,083 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reservations for Whale Watching in Hermanus in late June?

Not to contradict another poster - but the whales calve in Walker Bay when they arrive - and we do think of June as being the first month. Whale boat usually goes out mid-morning, lasts a couple of hours. I think the better boat would be the one that operates from the Gansbaai harbor.. http://www.whaleviewing.co.za/ Don't know your schedule, but seeing the whales from the shore is very good from that side of the Bay, actually.. great viewing points at De Kelders. I'll be there at my house in June, in fact.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reservations for Whale Watching in Hermanus in late June?

Yes, Dave correct. Early arrivals are from late June. For the whale boats, if they operate it is still 'low' season and in my opinion getting on a trip at that time can be done at short notice I.e. you don't have to book months in advance.

Suggest you check out the situation when here. Are there good sightings, are the boats tripping and what are weather and sea conditions like? That sort of thing.

WK

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reservations for Whale Watching in Hermanus in late June?

I agree with Dave.

I must say the best viewing is really from the shore and the boat trip you could book at a shorter term notice. If you do go out on the boat trip then I recommend you take some sea sickness tablets with you espcially if you are not used to going out to sea.

Regards

Michelle from Cape Town Guide

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reservations for Whale Watching in Hermanus in late June?

I am planning to bring my children there in mid June. We are coming from a long way, so I guess we might not be able to see any whales at that period, am I right?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reservations for Whale Watching in Hermanus in late June?

The whales do start to arrive from about June and it will be a gamble to see wether you will be lucky or not to spot the whales. You can always book on the day when it is weather predicted to do the trip.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

9. Re: Reservations for Whale Watching in Hermanus in late June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 07:20
Get answers to your questions about Hermanus