We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving route to Prince Albert

Which Knysna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
driving route to Prince Albert

Hello: As newbies to the lefthand side of the road, we don't feel too comfortable driving Swartberg Pass, beautiful as it is. Would welcome any scenic alternatives that are a little easier going to Prince Albert---would Meiringspoort Pass be a good one? many thanks---we'll be there next week!

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving route to Prince Albert

Much easier as this is a going through the mountain pass rather than over it but still wonderfully scenic

New York City
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving route to Prince Albert

thank you SO much...now we can take off with lighter hearts! cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,600 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving route to Prince Albert

I'd still urge you to go to and from PA by both passes. Traffic on the Swartberg is not usually heavy, it doesn't get many (any?) big trucks, and its the sort of road where you can tootle along at 50km/hour...once you are in the vehicle its amazing how quickly you'll adapt to driving on the left....

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving route to Prince Albert

Hi I agree totally. As someone who has driving on the right in both Europe and the US, I found after 30 minutes, I was wondering what I was scared of! If you get confident, by all means try the pass. You drive very slowly, so its nothing to be scared of. Just one piece of advice; if you pull over to view the scenery, thats when you can lose sense of what side of the road you are driving, so just be aware then. Enjoy it!

5. Re: driving route to Prince Albert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2010, 05:18