We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garden Route

Which Knysna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Garden Route

Hi there

We (3 friends) have around 10 days in South Africa, arriving in Port Elizabeth and departing from Cape Town. We are more flashpackers than backpackers! We want to stay in nice places, eat good food, drink nice wine etc but want to keep to a sensible budget.

Does this seem to be a logical itinerary with the right amount of time in each place?

Thu 8 Dec - arrive midday, overnight in Port Elizabeth (near Boardwalk)

Fri 9 Dec - (another friend arriving am) pm drive through the Willows toward Jeffrey's Bay, do St Francis Bay, overnight Knysna

Sat 10 Dec - exploration in Tsitsikamma Park, overnight Knysna

Sun 11 Dec - boat trip on the Knysna lagoon - to the Featherbed nature reserve, overnight Knysna

Mon 12 Dec - Explore Oudtshoorn: Cango Caves, ostridge farm,

overnight Swellendam

Tues 13 Dec - explore Stellenbosch, Winelands, overnight Stellenbosch

Wed 14 Dec - Sun 18 Dec - activities around Cape Town, 4 nights

Appreciate any feedback!

Thanks.

A.

Edited: 09 November 2011, 17:50
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Garden Route

Hi Averil

Ten days is on the tight side to do all this. But, of course, it can be done.

A few suggestions.

Fri 9th – If you are not leaving PE until lunch time and then going to Jeffrey’s Bay (presumably for some surfing), why than go on all the way to Knysna and back much of the way the next morning? Better to overnight somewhere between JB and Tsitsikamma. Maybe look at doing the Bloukrans Bungee Jump first thing in the morning of the 10th.

Monday 12th I wouldn’t end up in Swellendam. Much better to keep on the R62. A much nicer drive than on the N2. Go at least as far as Montagu or even Robertson which will give you more time in the Winelands on the 13th. At least, at this time of year, it stays light until towards 8pm.

Otherwise the first half of December is a great time in the Cape. Hopefully great Weather - warm sunny and dry. Unfortunately right now is a bit c**p – but it has plenty of time to get back to normal! Then the holidays have not yet really started. The schools don’t break up until the 11th but the main holiday’s don’t start until after the 16th - Reconciliation Day, the traditional start of the Holdays. At this point the crowds gather. Availability shoots down - and prices shoot up!

Edited: 09 November 2011, 19:22
Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Garden Route

Whilst in Knysna I can strongly recommend staying at Amanzi Island Lodge, which is situated on the island, right opposite the Heads.

As my learned friend has already written, Route 62 is by far the best route to take. Beautiful scenery, virtually no traffic (or speed cameras!) & great places to stop. Please spend time in Montagu & go back in time by 60 years!

At the moment the weather is cr*p because it's South Africa's secret weapon in the Test Match against Australia! It certainly worked well today!

Go Proteas!!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Garden Route

Nic

I didn't have tickets for today - good job from a spectators view (more like a test match in England) although a good bowling performance.

However hope to see the Proteas bat through most of tomorrow and all day Saturday in lovely warm sunshine!

Sadly two of those assumptions are rather questionable - LOL!

OTOH Michael Clarke might bat through three rain interpted sessions until rain and bad light stop play around 5:30 !!!

Edited: 09 November 2011, 20:37
Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Garden Route

VDC,

So you do have some class after all....................you enjoy cricket!!

Despite initial difficulties, fingers crossed I land at CPT 0900 2 March & will be dining at Tokara 10 hours later. Hope I enjoy it!

UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Garden Route

Thanks everyone for your helpful information. I will look into all your suggestions - very much looking forward to it!

6. Re: Garden Route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2012, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Knysna