We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garden Route?????

Which Knysna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Garden Route?????

Hi,

We arrive into Cape Town on the 21st April. We are spending 4 nights here, 2 nights in Stellenbosch. We were going to drive straight to Knysna. We have 4 days that are free and not sure what to do. Is 4 days to many to spend in Knysna??? We have safari booked for the 1st May in Kariega.

any advise on what to do for the 4 days would be much appreciated.

Please tell me the weather will be pretty nice, really need to some sun.

Thanks

Nic

Heidelberg
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Garden Route?????

I just came back from south africa. I would also stay in franschoek, which is the gourmet capital of SA and enjoy the wonderful restaurants there. On your way to stellenbosch don't miss the vineyards and do some winetasting.

Half day in hermanus and one day in cango caves and you're good.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Garden Route?????

Hi Alan,

That's pretty much all the things we plan on doing in Knysna.

Did ye stay somewhere on your drive to Knysna from Swartberg. I've been checking out places to stay in Prince Albert as i think it would be too much driving to do it all in one day from Stellenbosch.

Altrincham, England
Level Contributor
120 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Garden Route?????

Hi Nicola

We did Knysna as part of our trip west from Capetown, having already stayed in Hermanus and near Mossel Bay. We travelled on beyond Port Elizabeth to Addo and Amakhala game reserve before returning inland on route 62. We stayed in Outdshoorn and did the Swartberg as part of the loop of Meiringspoort and Swartberg including Prince Albert. As we returned west towards Cape Town we stayed in Montagu and Franschhoek.

I'll give you accommodation details if you want them.

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Garden Route?????

Nicola - you may of course decide to stop overnight on the way from Knysna to Stellenbosch but, honestly, it it is not really a difficult drive. We left Wilderness after breakfast and drove to Stellenbosch via George, Oudtshorn and the magnificent R62 with 2 stops on the way and still arrived by 1730 hours. The first stop at Cango Caves was also a 2 hour+ diversion from the most direct route so it really can be done quite easily.

Edited: 18 January 2012, 19:47
Knysna
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Garden Route?????

Just a note on distances. From Knysna it is a 30 minute drive to Plettenberg Bay in one direction and 30 minutes in the other direction will take you to Sedgefield. The N2 is a very good road.

London, England
Level Contributor
6 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Garden Route?????

Hi

Good advice from the other contributors.

A good place to stay a few minutes drive from Knysna town itself is Amanzi Island Lodge (see reviews on tripadvisor). It gives you the advantage of peace and quiet, views over the lagoon, great rooms and 1st class breakfast. There are 2 nice restaurants within 10 mins walk or you can drive to town (10 mins max). Nice management team there too; we've stayed there twice.

I'd disagree with driving times from Knysna to P. Elizabeth. I think you should allow yourself 3 to 3 and a half hours. It's 183 miles (294km). There's very little traffic but 3 hrs assumes an AVERAGE speed of 60mph and no roadworks. We had roadworks and stopped for 20 mins.

I hope this helps. Have a great trip!

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Garden Route?????

Agreed IanKaye.

I drive Port Elizabeth / Sedgefield (20 km west of Knysna) quite a few times a year and I allow myself 3 hours for the trip with NO stops in between. The road is in very good condition, but from Knysna to the Grags (20-30 km on the PE side of Plettenberg Bay), there are many areas where the speed limit is 80 km / hour. You "waste" lots of time on this stretch. There are much to see in this area...so not really a case that you would want to travel faster....

Besides, if you want to take a slight detour to Nature's Valley, you should add 30 minutes travel time. I'd say Nature's Valley is a must....

The rest of the road to PE (either from the Grags, alternatively from the Toll Gate where the Nature's Valley road link up with the N2 again) would allow you a comfortable 120 km / hour. There is just one short stretch of road close to the Storms River Village where the speed limit is 100 km / hr again.

But then, surely you can't go passed this area without visiting the Storms River section of the Tsitsikamma NP...? If you do, add an hour to your travel time....

ENJOY!

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,235 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Garden Route?????

I woud look at driving from Stellenbosch to Oudtshoorn on the R62 and have at least one night in that area before heading to Knysna.

19. Re: Garden Route?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2013, 10:18