We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

route to kysna from oudtshoorn south afirca

Which Knysna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
route to kysna from oudtshoorn south afirca

We want to go to kysna from oudtshoorn in last week of April 2013.Is there other route other than N2.We will be taking R12 and 9 upto George.I don't mind passes. I think there is route which goes through small town of karataka.Does any one know how is that route?

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: route to kysna from oudtshoorn south afirca

Have never done it but found this video of Karatara Pass. It seems that the route is mostly gravel road. mountainpassessouthafrica.co.za/find-a-pass/…

The N2 between George and Knysna is a beautiful drive and so should not be discounted.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: route to kysna from oudtshoorn south afirca

I agree with Lengau, that the drive from George to Knysna along the beach at the Wilderness should not be missed. But if you will be heading back from Knysna to Cape Town via George then i can suggest the route along Karatarra Pass. Another option would be to take the N12 from Oudtshoorn, at the T-Junction you take a left turn onto the N9 and head on until you get to the R339 which will take you to Knysna through Kruisvallei. Much longer route, but different than the normal route, scenic with mountain passes as well.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: route to kysna from oudtshoorn south afirca

Thank you for info and video.It was helpful

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: route to kysna from oudtshoorn south afirca

I will be going from Oudtshoorn to Knysna and thinking to take 75 km 7 passes route. While going back from knysna to Cape Town i can take N2 so i can pass by wilderness.I will take R62 and R60 garden route from Cape Town to Oudtshoorn and stay 1 night there, and 2 night in Knysna. Your reply was helpful.If you have any more suggetion please pass it on. Thanks.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
9 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: route to kysna from oudtshoorn south afirca

hi

I live in Knysna and travel all the back roads in ther area. You can go from Knysna to Wilderness along the 7 passes road. It goes through the forest and is very scenic. You can go from Geotre to Oudtshoorn via the old Montague Pass. There are many more passes in the area that you can do with a 2X@ car. Give me a shout if you need any more help.

Ramsgate, Kent
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: route to kysna from oudtshoorn south afirca

Hi

We are driving from Knysna to Oudtshoorn and would like to do the route you suggest i.e. seven passes and the old Montague Pass. When I use google maps it uses the N2 - can you help me out please? I would like to print the route from Google maps before we go on Friday. thanks

7. Re: route to kysna from oudtshoorn south afirca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Knysna