We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knysna to Stellenbosh - route 62 - with stops

Which Knysna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dubai
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Knysna to Stellenbosh - route 62 - with stops

Hello everybody,

We are planning to drive from Knysna to Stellenbosh on Route 62 in late August 2013. From what ive read its a very beautiful drive. We are 3 adults and a 5 year old. Could fellow travellers/expers please help me with the following;

What are the stops we should make on the way. there are so many places to choose calitzdrop, montagu, roberson, worcester barrydale - pls help in devsing the best and most practical stops.

How much time will it take? Can we get to stellbosh by say 6 pm if we leave knyna by 8.30 a.m.

we intend to spend an entire day driving around and visiting wineries in and around Stellenbosh - Do visting wineries on route 62 still make sense ? any alternate sight seeing options?

Any and all advice/recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Knysna to Stellenbosh - route 62 - with stops

Robertson is a nice stop. It has loads to offer, with stunning vineyards and great place to have a picnic or taste wine. Why not stop here overnight - its worth it if you have the time.

Montague is small, but also pretty, nestling in a valley.

I would avoid stopping in Worcester - there is not much to see there, although other might differ with me.

You should be able to make it easily in the time frame ,but its not going to allow for much stopping or sightseeing along the way.

dubai
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Knysna to Stellenbosh - route 62 - with stops

Thanks madaboutwine for ur reply. The idea is to stop and do a bit of sight seeing. Thats why is need help with planning the route and places to stop. the plan is to spend the night in Stellenbosh so that we can start with the tour of the winelands from next morning.

Does Knysna - Riversale -ladismith (R323) - Barry dale -Montagu - Robestson - Stellenbosch - make sense?

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Knysna to Stellenbosh - route 62 - with stops

Sounds good to me! Enjoy. :-)

There are a couple of nice farm stalls to explore on the route as well if you like that sort of thing. You can also buy great dried fruit very inexpensively in Montague .

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Knysna to Stellenbosh - route 62 - with stops

We always stop at Ronnie's sex shop for a drink, it is quite an interesting place and not at all what the name suggests. (-: http://www.ronniessexshop.co.za/wmenu.php

They are between Barrydale and Ladismith. For a lunch stop I'd suggest Montagu, beautiful small town.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
842 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Knysna to Stellenbosh - route 62 - with stops

We were once given the advice not to use the R323 on a long journey as it would hinder us greatly -whether this is because it is partly gravel and very narrow and steep in parts I wouldn't know but maybe someone else knows the answer?? The journey would be quicker via Oudsthoorn. The scenery on the R62 is spectacular and even if you don't have time to stop for walking around much there are plenty of places to stop for a coffee then for lunch to absorb the beauty around you. My tip for a coffee stop would be The Blue Cow at the Barrydale Waterfront and for lunch Mo and Rose near Robertson.

6. Re: Knysna to Stellenbosh - route 62 - with stops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2014, 05:17