We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

knysna to stellenbosch ?

Which Knysna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
knysna to stellenbosch ?

We will be travelling by hire car (vw polo) from knysna to stellenbosh on our garden route tour .

I first thought the obvious route would be along the N2 , because of a better road and more direct and quickest journey .

But i am now wondering if we should go the R62 route for a more scenic experience ?

What is the difference in time and mileage between the 2 routes ? Are the roads of decent quality in that area ? We want to do the journey in one day ( day light hours ) .

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: knysna to stellenbosch ?

A straightforward - but quite scenic route - would be to join the R62 by heading west on the N2 to George and then turning north onto the N12 to Oudtshoorn. If you stay on the R62 you will go through Montagu and then join the R60 going west to Worcester. At Worcester you can turn onto the N1 and follow the signs to Stellenbosch. This is route is about 500 kms and would take you about 6 hours.

However, there are a couple a variations to this route which make for a better scenic drive but would add approximately an extra hour to your travel time.

When you get on the R62 you will go through the towns of Calitzdorp and Ladismith but when you get to Barrydale turn left onto the R324 and go south over Tradouws Pass and follow the signs to Swellendam and then join the R60 towards Worcester. Here is a link to a video I made of our ride over the pass from Barrydale in January http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJF8aiXxjdY

If time is pressing you can take then join the N1 to Stellenbosch from Worcester.

However, if you are still looking for a scenic drive, just before you get to Worcester turn south onto the R43 to Villiersdorp and then turn west onto the R45 to Franschhoek and after Franschhoek follow the signs to Stellenbosch.

The two extra sections to the route would make the drive about 560 kms and with a total drive time of about 7 hours (without allowing for stops)

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: knysna to stellenbosch ?

Thanks for that infomative reply and interesting utube clip . It does look an interesting drive and the roads look better than i imagined for a mountain route . I think we,ll see how we feel the day before the trip and make our decision then .We have got a very busy 11 night shedule for our first south africa visit so we,ll see our our energy levels are then :-)

3. Re: knysna to stellenbosch ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Knysna