We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights in the garden route ??

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
4 nights in the garden route ??

This is our first visit to S.Africa. After spending 6 nights in Cape Town we are planning to drive the garden route and have booked for stay at Kynsna for 3 days before flying out from George on the 4th day at 5 pm to Jo'burg. We will be hiring a car from CT. We are 3 of us including our 8 year old daughter. We want to visit the Ostrich farm and cango caves at Oudtshoorn, try and do the swartberg pass (what are the chances of rain in the last week of may). can we do all the three activities as a day trip from Knsyna. or should we give swartberg a pass and do the visit to oudtshoorn on the last day and then return the car at George. That leaves us will 2 full days at Knysna. What all can we do over these 2 days. We are not keen on any hiking activities.

Regards,

ILove2Travel

Edited: 09 April 2014, 12:13
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
235 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights in the garden route ??

I would skip the pass as you will be busy enough. Things to do with an 8 year old in Knysna-a ferry ride to the Heads; a game drive in Plettenberg Bay; Birds of Eden is amazing, also near Plett. The elephant park is worth every cent as you get to interact with them. Great memories. Have a safe trip.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 nights in the garden route ??

Thanks Bernadette for ur advice. I forgot to mention that after CT and Knysna we are headed to Kruger for 2 nights self drive safari and 2 nights game lodge. Considering that we are spending 4 days enjoying wildlife I guess doing the game drive in plettnberg, would be repetitive. Should we still do the elephant park or would it be another wildlife experience.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
235 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nights in the garden route ??

I would do the elephant park as it's interactive; an experience you wouldn't have watching elephants in the Kruger Park. If that appeals to you. I would also still do the Birds of Eden for the same reason. My children loved both of these adventures and remember them well. Definitely consider doing the ferry in Knysna but add the nature reserve experience on the other side of the lagoon. If you are not keen on quad biking there or any of the other activities they offer, lunch at the Knysna waterfront before or after the ferry or at the restaurants at the Heads is lovely. There is a water park outside of Knysna that provides a great day out, but the weather may be too cool during your stay.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
123 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 nights in the garden route ??

Hi

Sorry to butt in the conversation but me too traveling on the garden route in May with my 7 year old ...

Bernadette wanted to check whether did you do the feather bed cruise ? Is it worth it ?

In fact our itinerary is gansbaai - oudtshoorn (1n) - Plett (2 n) - PE

Would be doing canoeing in wilderness, skydive in Plett, knysna cruise, tsitsikamma canopy adventure, birds of Eden, robberg nature reserve , cruising in Plett

Thanks

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 nights in the garden route ??

almost sharing the same entrance as Birds of Eden is Monkeyland www.monkeyland.co.za, I seem to recall there was a discount if you buy a ticket for both attractions.

although my daughter is 20 years older than yours, she enjoyed both !

6. Re: 4 nights in the garden route ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 06:16