We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Oudtshoorn and surrounds without a car - possible?

Which Oudtshoorn hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
56 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Oudtshoorn and surrounds without a car - possible?

Hi all,

I am making a quick trip to South Africa for a wedding in mid-Dec. I have a 3 spare days during which I need to make my way from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth and I'm considering the Baz Bus, with an overnight stop in Oudtshoorn.

I'd like to visit the Cango Caves, but is it possible to get there without a car? Ideally I'd like the visit to take no more than a 1/2 day, due to the timings of the bus (otherwise I would need to stay 2 nights in Oudtshoorn, so as to fit in a full day tour, and would be rushing to get to Port Elizabeth the next day).

Anything else in the area I should definitely see? Are Meerkat Magic and/or an ostrich farm easily accessible from town? How much time would I need to visit either of these?

Oudtshoorn
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Oudtshoorn and surrounds without a car - possible?

Dear Canuck Adventurer

It is not possible to visit the Cango Caves without a car, except if you would like to cycle the almost 30km from town ;-) But I think your time is a bit limited for that!

You definitely have to experience Oudtshoorn and the amazing Karoo. There are a lot more to see than just the Cango Caves. Look at my previous contribution on:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312667-i9755-k300…

Don't book your seat on the Baz Bus just yet. I will do a bit of research and find out if there is perhaps another transport option that will allow you 1 full day and night in Oudtshoorn. (Have you considered renting a car and travel by yourself?)

My husband and I might be able to take you around in Oudtshoorn personally - on which dates are you traveling and alone or with a partner? Please send me an email. We will be happy to assist and let you experience the warm hospitality of the Karoo people. www.karoosun.co.za. Also check out www.oudtshoorninfo.com for everything about Oudtshoorn.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Oudtshoorn and surrounds without a car - possible?

Hi Canuck.

As a reply to the above post, KarooSun you may be new to the TA forums, but self-promotion is not acceptable here. TA is not a place to advertise your business, only provide impartial advice.

Canuck, the answer is yes, you can visit these places without a car. There are a few backpackers in town that will organise these trips for you, one of which is Backpackers Paradise, however, if you chose to stay in a B&B, you can call one of the few tour guides here or even taxis that will take you where you wish to go. Also the backpackers drive over to George to collect the BazBussers, so this whole experience goes hand in hand.

I am not 100% sure of the timings, but yes, you may well have to stay 2 days. But this you won't regret as there is just so much to do. Again, with regards to ostriches etc, the backpackers will sort this out for you, so the above option is a good one, as they have a great adventure centre that will cater to all your needs.

South Africa
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Oudtshoorn and surrounds without a car - possible?

A trip on the Baz Bus is really an experience one should not miss - whatever the tour guide form Oudtshoorn says.

The is a free travel guide for back packers "Coast to Coast www.coastingafrica.com Just look on the webside - the back backer lodges offer everything and I am sure one of them will have transport for guests to the caves. I also recommend a day visit to the game reserve Buffelsdrift. It is close to town

Oudtshoorn
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Oudtshoorn and surrounds without a car - possible?

Please accept my sincere apologies, Worsie. I won't do that again!

London
Level Contributor
56 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Oudtshoorn and surrounds without a car - possible?

Hi everyone, thanks for your advice. I've spoken to Backpackers Paradise and their tours go everywhere I want to go. Now I just have one problem - how to get from Oudtshoorn to Port Elizabeth if I don't want to take the Baz Bus? Ideally I'd like to travel by night so as to arrive in Port Elizabeth in the morning. It would be a Thursday night/Friday morning journey in mid-December, but I simply can't find a public bus that does this. Am I missing something or do I need to rework my schedule?

6. Re: Visiting Oudtshoorn and surrounds without a car - possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2010, 05:16