We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental

Spain
Level Contributor
10 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental

Hi Guys

we will be renting a car from the 13th March-3rd April 2010.

However many of the cars quoted seem to have different names from the ones here in Spain.

Any recommenations on companies and cars would be much appreciated.

Also what is the best insurance to have as everyone mentions Gravel Roads????

Many thanks

Bridie21

Scarborough
Level Contributor
929 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental

Hi

I am in the process of arranging car hire myself for the garden route. Planning to use economycarhire. com. - used this year in Europe and got a good deal. The quote this time for 2 weeks in late feb is good and insurance is included , this is why I used in 2009 in Europe. As I m already a customer the site lets me know who the partner will be and its listed as Europcar who I m sure you will know from Spain etc. I also used them about 3 yrs ago on a previous trip in Kruger.

Also the gravel road question , sure others may disagree, whilst passable in a car, they are slow going and when I had to do 40km on them to get into Kruger it seemed like an eternity! I drive a 4x4 here and my advice would be don t plan a long trip unless your have the right vehicle.

hope this helps

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental

Hi Bridie

Just answered your post on the Cape Town forum - same answer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bridie

You will nearly always get a lower price for Car Rental going with one of the large international Internet Car Hire Brokers than booking direct with the company. In Spain I would use Auto-Europe ES. Checking for a three week rental Cape Town Airport to Airport, the cheapest direct rental on the companies' direct web-sites is R5,901 with Budget. This is for a 4 door Economy Car with Aircon. On Autoeurope.es ( http://www.autoeurope.es/index.cfm?c=4877 ) the same car (Ford Fiesta or equivalent) is €363 = R3,848. This is a 35 percent saving and you get exactly the same car - from either the same airport desk or one of the ones next to it. AutoEurope will rent using one of the international major companies - Budget, Avis, Europcar, Thrifty or Hertz.

Both these prices include equivalent CDW and TP waivers with about the same excess. You have the added advantage that you pay in Euro so save any credit card foreign exchange fees.

BTW all car rental companies only give specific car types for indication. If it says Ford Fiesta or equivalent you may get a similar 4 door car from any major manufacturer. No company guarantees exactly what car you get.

As to what size you want, that depends on you. I quote a 4 door economy car with aircon as that is what I always rent in SA or in Europe. Road conditions are very similar. In the summer always get a car with Aircon - it was above 40 degreees today near to Cape Town. Otherwise if you want a big Mercedes E-Class no problem - it just costs you more (€3,090)!

---------------------------------

For the areas you are visiting you definitely don't need a 4x4. Gravel Road speed limit is 60kph no mater what car you drive (except in national Parks where it is 40). Normal small saloon is fine for all public roads.

Edited: 05 January 2010, 23:50
3. Re: Car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2010, 06:19