We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

highgate ostrich farm or cango ostrich farm?

hants, uk
Level Contributor
483 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
highgate ostrich farm or cango ostrich farm?

hi....i will be arriving in oudtshoorn about lunchtime for 1 night and hope to visit an ostrich farm And possibly the last tour on the cango caves...

i Was thinking about highgate , but cant see where this is located ? would it be more advisable to go to the cango ostrich farm (which is near to the caves, i think? ) ....

or am i being Reallllly optimistic and only going to have time to do One of these attractions?....

in the morning, before we leave for knysna, i was planning on a trip to the wildlife ranch

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: highgate ostrich farm or cango ostrich farm?

Highgate is about 10km south of Outdtshoorn on the R328 to Mossel Bay so you may even pass it on the way into town. You can have lunch there (ostrich features largely!).

Cango show farm is 14km north of town (about half way to the caves) so if you're coming in on the R62 this saves you heading south to come back north again. There last tour is 5pm. Last tour of the caves is 4pm. You might be pushing it a bit to do both but it's possible. Alternatively, hit at 9am the next day for the first tour?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: highgate ostrich farm or cango ostrich farm?

Hi,

If you are arriving lunchtime you have time enough to do both.

Highgate vs Cango Ostrich Farm: Highgate is the only working ostrich farm, whereas Cango is merely a showcase of ostriches, therefore your more authentic experience will be at Highgate. However, Cango has the advantage of being on the road to the Caves, so you may wish to visit this if you are under constraints time wise.

Highgate is 10kms from Oudtshoorn on the road to Mossel Bay. 10/15 mins from centre of town. Caves are 30 mins (30kms) from town centre in opposite direction. I would visit the Caves when you arrive, then visit the ostriches afterwards, as the Caves are an even 19 degrees year round, whereas the ostrich farms require you to be outside, and this may be more comfortable if it is hot in the late afternoon. Either way, last tours at both are around 4pm, and ostriches about 1.5hrs, and caves 2 hrs including travel time. Caves adventure tours are every hour on the half hour, and standard tours every hour on the hour.

leeds
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: highgate ostrich farm or cango ostrich farm?

Hi there

We've just been to Oudsthoorn for a week and I would definitely recommend High Gate. We have done the tour before and just wanted to ride the ostriches. High Gate was the only farm who allowed us to "skip" the tour and go straight for the riding. Staff was great, we had breakfast outside, free tea and coffee and juice for the kids.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
568 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: highgate ostrich farm or cango ostrich farm?

I visited Cango Ostrich Farm last September and loved it - staff really nice and great tour. Yes, and rode the ostrich!

5. Re: highgate ostrich farm or cango ostrich farm?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2010, 08:16