We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meerkat Magic

Which Oudtshoorn hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lacock, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Meerkat Magic

Just thought i'd post this in its correct area as well !!

from my trip report in south Africa

Our main reason for going to oudtshoorn was so that we could go on a meerkat tour (meerkatmagic.com) and this was just fantastic.I recommed anybody interested in these fascinating creatures to book up a trip with the researcher grant,the man's a genius,can't speak highly enough of him.It was like being immersed in your own life on earth special as you follow the meerkats from when they take their first steps of the day outside whichever burrow they've spent the night in to setting off on their foraging trips and finding all manner of food in the bush,millipedes ,spiders,scorpions.

You'll watch them play,find food,feed their babies,take sentry duties,all kinds of things whilst he tells you everything you've ever wanted to know about meerkats and the surrounding countryside.

The tour lasts about 3-4 hours,takes place in the natural world and will provide enough memories for a lifetime.Go to his website and take a look,its a hidden gem of an experience and well worth going out of your way to do.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
418 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Meerkat Magic

I'm so glad I found this post on here.

Im booked for the meerkat sunrise tour on Jan 4th.

I haven't seen any other reviews on it.

Thanks so much, I can't wait!!

Lorree

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
580 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meerkat Magic

The Lonely Planet guide says it is the best animal experience in the Cape. Praise indeed!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
418 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Meerkat Magic

Wow!! I can't wait!!

Its going to be one of my highlights!!

Wiltshire
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Meerkat Magic

Gary,

Where did you stay? We are going on the 18th Jan and have yet to book any accommodation.

Thanks

Chrissie

Benthuizen
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meerkat Magic

I want to travel to South Africa in November and I'm trying to book a tour on the 13th or 18th of November, but despite of sending several e-mails I get no response. Does anybody know how to book?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meerkat Magic

Hi you will need to book with Grant direct - your B&B should be able to do this. There can be a number of reasons that the tours do not take place: 1) bad weather - these little guys don't come out unless the sun is shining (can't see predators above them) and 2) if Grant hasn't been able to locate them the night before, as they spend each night in a different burrow.

Grant's cell number is +27 (0) 824136895. He won't answer - you will need to send him an SMS a few days or the day before you wish to take the tour. He will confirm with you via sms and provide you with the meeting place. Tour starts at around 5:30am. (you have to be in place at the burrows before sunrise) and lasts 3-4 hours. Cost is R450 cash (400 for tour and 50 for reserve fee) per person. Any further details needed, just shout.

Benthuizen
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meerkat Magic

Returned last week after a disappointing trip considering Meerkat Magic. Wanted to take the tour at Nov. 17. Send Grant 12 SMS messages (the tourguide 10 SMS) and got NEVER any reply. I am very angry, because it was my main goal to see the meerkats. I hope he rots in hell!!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Meerkat Magic

It can sometimes be very difficult to reach grant so i would recommend trying to contact him as far in advance as possible and asking him to let you know the best way of ensuring you get onto a tour. I tried contacting him a while ago to help someone with a booking (at short notice) but received no reply. I think he is so absorbed with the Meerkats that he misses things.

If you are interested in this tour, you may also be interested in a walk with baboons in the Cape Town area with an organisation called Baboon Matters. This is also a fantastic oportunity to get close to animals in their natural environment and i would highly recommend it. Have a look at their site: http://www.baboonmatters.org.za/

I did this walk with some clients last week and had one of the best experiences of my life.

Mark

Benthuizen
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meerkat Magic

I think contacting him in July for a trip (with confirmation from Grant for the week I wanted to visit)in November should be in advance enough

10. Re: Meerkat Magic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 22:18