We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stellenbosh or Franschoek

macclesfield
3 posts
Save Topic
Stellenbosh or Franschoek

Hi

We plan to spend 3 nights, 2 days of our honeymoon in the winelands of SA, and are torn between Stellenbosh and Franschoek (or wedding is in November, so we need to get this booked asap!).

I'd be so grateful if you could anyone recommend where we should go (Stenllenbosh or Franshoek, guest house, and which vineyards and restaurants to visit)?

We'd lke to be based within easy reach of nice restaurants and vineyards, to limit driving (and make the most of the wine!).

Thank you for any suggestions!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,836 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stellenbosh or Franschoek

What is it you are looking for? What would swing it for you?

Both are lovely. Stellensbosch is a uni town and very old. Franschoek is epicurean. They are only a few miles apart, so I wouldn't worry too much...

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
585 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stellenbosh or Franschoek

Hi Sian

If you are undecided about the two, why not stay halfway in between, at Vrede en Lust wine estate? http://www.vnl.co.za/ We are wedding videographers and have worked there a number of times. It is really very good and is about half way between the two towns.

Here is a highlights clip of a wedding which we shot there on 3 March. It will give you some idea of what it is like.

www.capevideos.com/video/MM-Highlights.wmv

Good luck with your forthcoming wedding!

Howard Neill

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
2 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stellenbosh or Franschoek

No debate, Stellenbosh by a mile. We're just back from two weeks in SA and spent 2 nights in Stellenbosh. Lovely town, safe to stroll in the evening, full of good restaurants.

Franschoek main street (only street of note) is a tourist trap. You can make day trips to Franschoek town and valley area, only 25/30 minutes drive, also close enough to Paarl, but I'd stay in Stellenbosh far nicer. Stellenbosh also more central for the wider wine area.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stellenbosh or Franschoek

Hello,

Personally I'd choose Franschhoek (and do whenever I'm in the winelands). The restaurants are amazing, so if you are a foodie it's the place to be. I like the small-town atmosphere and the fact that you can walk most places in town.

After having stayed on the wine estates and in town, I normally choose a place in town as it means being able to enjoy the food and wine to the hilt without worrying about driving back to my hotel over winding country roads after dinner.

There are a wide range of options in both towns. Of the guesthouses in Franschhoek I like La Petite Ferme and Rusthof Country House. Klein Oliphantshoek is a great choice if you're on a smaller budget. At this point, availability may make your choice for you -- I'd start looking for a place ASAP.

The choice of restaurants depends on what sort of food you like -- there's Bouillabaisse for seafood, French Connection for classic bistro, and the Tasting Room for gourmet cuisine. Two excellent restaurants which are only open for lunch are Bread and Wine and La Petite Ferme.

Cheers,

Julian

USA
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stellenbosh or Franschoek

Do not forget Rubens in Franchhoek or Terrior in Stellenbosch. Forresters is excellant wine and his 96 Winery row resturant is an awards winner. DeTrafford has great wines, not much to see but nice to drink, especially their Straw Wine. And Ernie Els is a lux venue. Remember, drink one and buy two. Have a great trip.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stellenbosh or Franschoek

I'd have to choose Franschoek as well - I just love the atmosphere and all the restaurants and shops on offer.

We were there recently and went to Grand Provence wine estate and it was amazing! We had lunch at French Connection and it was very good too. Boschendal (just outside of Franschoek) was by far the most organised wine farm we visited though, really geared up for the tasting sessions. Highly recommended.

7. Re: Stellenbosh or Franschoek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 13:19