We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helshoogte area accommodation & wineries

under the sun
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Helshoogte area accommodation & wineries

I visited Stellenbosch & environs some decades ago long before the wine route was so developed. Haven't been back since but will return for a very short visit in January 09. I remember the area up Helshoogte (from Stellenbosch) being very beautiful, right under & in amongst the mountains, but can't remember the name of the place - it wasn't a village as such but just had scattered houses/farms. Was this Banhoek, do you think?

I should dearly love to stay one night there. Can anyone recommmend a quiet, beautiful place to stay? It doesn't have to be top end or luxurious, as setting is more important. Are places reluctant to take a booking for just one night?

And what would be the best wineries & restaurants nearby to visit? Is Tokara quite near? I've heard it's quite exceptional, if expensive.

If we can't find something that seems good, would it be worth considering the old Lanzerac Hotel? It used to be good all those many years ago but what is it like now?

I hope someone with knowledge of the area between Stellenbosch & Paarl can give information - thank you in advance.

South Coast
Level Contributor
153 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helshoogte area accommodation & wineries

The Helshoogte Pass runs between Stellenbosch and Franschhoek thorugh the Banhoek Valley. Boschendal and Zorgvliet wine estates are nearby. My wedding guests will be staying at the following places:

De Kraal country lodge http://dekraal.co.za/

Looks amazing. Pool, boating lake and beautiful gardens.

MolenVliet Wine Estate www.molenvliet.co.za

4 large self catering suites R1390. Swimming pool.

Clouds Estate http://cloudsestate.co.za (luxurious and upmarket)

Alluvia www.alluvia.co.za another upmarket option.

Orangeville Guest House www.orangeville.co.za

Carlsbad Cottages, Hillcrest Berry Orchards www.hillcrestberries.co.za

2 self catering cottages with pool and private gardens each sleeping 5 people. Around R600 per night for a cottage.

Samburu Cottage B&B http://samburu.co.za

A B&B with 3 rooms from R520 per night. Set on an olive and protea farm, looks like a stunning setting.

Tregurthen www.safarinow.com/go/Tregurthen

Set on a fruit farm this cottage is excellent value.

Moores End Cottages www.mooresend.co.za

4 cottages from R200 per night per person. Swimming pool too.

under the sun
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Helshoogte area accommodation & wineries

thanks, Nomad! Lots there to look up. Best wishes for your wedding, too.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helshoogte area accommodation & wineries

There are several lovely places in the vicinity of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek.

Suggest Asara Estate near Stellenbosch or Mont Rochelle in Franschhoek. Both estates are surrounded by vineyards. African Valley Estate is situated in the Helshoogte Pass.

If these places are above your budget, then there are

several others - take a look at www.portfolioguide.com

(either Country Places or Retreats Collection).

In Paarl there is a beautiful winery - Seidelberg - and there is a lovely Bed and Breakfast there. Refer www.seidelberg.co.za.

DCJules (Tripadvisor) did an excellent Franschhoek trip report on wineries and restaurants dated 25th Sept. 2007 and it would be well worth your while to refer to it.

Have a wonderful time in the beautiful Cape.

Level Contributor
33 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helshoogte area accommodation & wineries

Oh hi - this is perfect timing! I was just sitting down to post our review of the wine region around Cape Town. We just returned from South Africa the end of June. I know exactly where you need to stay - you must stay at Seidelberg Winery. I can not say enough wonderful things about this place. We only stayed one night at the beginning of our trip and one night at the end. We flew in to Cape Town and stayed at Seidelberg before we drove on to the garden route and flight out from Port Elizabeth to J-burg. Ten days later we flew in to Cape Town one evening and we were not scheduled to fly home until the next time. We drove the 45 minutes out to Seidelberg to stay for the evening. We did not arrive until 8:00 p.m. They had arranged for their chef to prepare and leave a wonderful meal for us to heat up - chicken curry, rice, potatos, vegetables, and bread pudding. They have a kitchenette in their rooms. The cost of the meal was so reasonable. Our "room" was actually a mini-house. The room was at least 30 feet by 50 feet - huge! The bathroom was sunken in a lower room, they have a dry sauna and a nice pool. Unfortunately it was their winter and we could not take advantage of the pool. Our room had a fire place and it was raining on our first night and we watched the flat screen TV in front of the fire place - perfect! Our last night we got up early and went for a long walk in the vineyards and talked to the workers trimming the vines. For breakfast they deliver a basket full of goods at the time of your choosing - warm bread, meat, cheese, jam, juice, and you make all the coffee you want - we were amazed at their service and generosity to us. Of course - you tour the glass factory and the winery the next morning. It was a wonderful experience. I hope to get my posting done today - I am not sure if I will have time. If you want to see pictures or hear more about what we did around Cape Town please e-mail me directly at kurick@geneseo.net. The contact at Seidelberg is Chanda and her e-mail is chanda@seidelberg.co.za. Please tell her that Karen Urick recommended that you contact them - she is a wonderful person - they even give you your own code to the main gate so you come and go as you please!

under the sun
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Helshoogte area accommodation & wineries

Whoops! sorry I forgot to THANK YOU for your replies. sometimes lose internet connection, and by the time it's restored I've lost track of what I was doing.

6. Re: Helshoogte area accommodation & wineries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 21:17