We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning wine tasting day in Stellenbosch

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,687 posts
535 reviews
Save Topic
Planning wine tasting day in Stellenbosch

Hi

Any comments on my initial thoughts for a day wine tasting in Stellenbosch would be most welcome. I try to get a mix of red / white / perhaps bubbles and small producers to big names. Don't really like bumping into large tour bus groups though and like to have a chat in the tasting room.

Neil Ellis - had his wines in UK and really like

Le Riche - for cabernet sauvignon

Glenelly

Rustenberg - been here before and loved the wines and the setting

Then I tried to find somewhere for lunch. Want a relatively quick lunch stop, so Simonsberg, Jordan etc won't really suit.

Thought about Delheim, Morgenhof or Uitkyk for a picnic. Any other suggestions in the area?

After lunch....

Simonsig or Slaley

Warwick

Villiera

What do you think? Or are there wineries that I have missed out that are a must. Or should I look in other areas of Stellenbosch?

Will be doing Thelema, Tokara and Delaire on the way to Stellenbosch from Franschhoek

Thanks

Lisa

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning wine tasting day in Stellenbosch

very quick response... if you want to go to Warwick - they now do v gd gourmet picnics so that could be a picnic lunch spot. If you'r in town Christophe's do a 'busisennes' lunch guaranteed in and out within an hour!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,687 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning wine tasting day in Stellenbosch

Thanks for your quick response! Definitely won't be in town. I did have a look at the gourmet picnics on the Warwick website - no price though. I did like the look of their pods in the gardens! Maybe that is a thought.....

Cheers

Lisa

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning wine tasting day in Stellenbosch

Hi Lisa

Interesting schedule - I assume that you are not doing this on a weekend (Le Riche for instance is ordinarily closed on weekends)

Neil Ellis - beautifully situated up the Jonkershoek valley - when we went there was only a rather young and perhaps inexperienced attendant to talk to. You can taste most of their entry level wines and one or two of their Vineyard Selection (the Cab was particularly good and when I made it clear that I wanted to buy a magnum I was given a taste of the 2001 - lovely stuff) - However slightly disappointingly I was unable to taste their range of differently located SB's - There was a charge for tasting (15 rand when I went) but this was foregone on purchase of my magnum

Le Riche - handily almost next door (I imagine this was your idea !) - very cottagey informal and perhaps a little less welcoming than might have been desired (I got the feeling they are not visited that frequently) and there were only two wines to taste - the entry level Cab and a perfectly good Chardonnay - I was not offered the Cab Reserve the 2005 of which had just got five stars from Platter the day I was there - they said they were between bottlings

Glenelly - I will be interested in hearing how you get on and this is on my list for next year - the new winery facilities look great on the website

Rustenberg - clearly you know it and I agree a return visit is a must - just remember to give yourself time to sign in, and drive up through the farm

Lunch - why not kill two birds with one stone - lunch at Cuvee at Simonsig - you should definitely taste there as there is a fantastic range to taste from and if your are lucky you may get looked after by Margaret - lunch can be a one plate affair - the food is very good - excellent bubbles

Warwick/Slaley - I have not been there - other possibilities near Simonsig include Hartenberg (very good cellar tour here - book in advance - same for Simonsig) and if you can find it , Kaapzicht (keep on going up the bumpy lane - it's almost as bad as Jordan) if you are interested in Pinotage, or possibly Kanonkop (in a different direction from Simonsig)

There are, of course, about 100 others in the area you could try !

Edited: 11 October 2010, 18:44
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning wine tasting day in Stellenbosch

Hi Lisa

Agree with Belfast. This sounds a pretty good day.

However for a quick, informal lunch I do like Delheim - lovely garden and views and their Pinotage Rose at around R45 a bottle is a lovely lunch wine!

You could then call in at Muratie or Quoin Rock on the way up from the main road! Although you may be visiting Quoin Rock on your trip down to Elim?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,687 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning wine tasting day in Stellenbosch

Hi my 3 wine gurus!

Thanks for your comments. VDC, hope you are enjoying your time in the Kruger?

I think we will go for lunch at Delheim - may want to choose something light after dinner at Rust en Vrede the night before.

We will be tasting on a Thursday, so no problems with opening hours.

Now wondering if to give Neil Ellis and Le Riche a miss. Interested in their different SB's, having tasted the Groenland on several times. Maybe we can persuade them to open a bottle. There will be 4 of us?

Perhaps start at Simonsig with their cellar tour instead.

Going to do Quoin Rock when we are in Elim, but loved their Stellenbosch tasting the last time we were there. The winery is in a beautiful setting and very modern. Great glass windows to look down into the cellar.

Haven't been to Muratie. If you are recommending, VDC, guess it's worth a visit.

Did quite fancy tasting the bubbles at Villiera. Do they let you sample a wide variety?? Also picked Warwick, as quite often buy Professor Black, 3 Cape Ladies and Tirlogy here. I love their branding!

Thanks again and no doubt I will have other ideas in the next 4 weeks!

While we are on wine, just a question on Franschhoek (going via here to Stellenbosch from Rouxwil). We are meeting friends for lunch at Bread and Wine - so time for 3 tastings before then!! After your previous comments some months ago BTM, I was thinking of Stoney Brook, Colmant and La Motte. Still a good selection?

Lisa

PS. I paid £25 for a bottle of Delheim rose in a restaurant a couple of weeks ago!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
7,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning wine tasting day in Stellenbosch

Hi Lisa,

Went to Blaauwklippen recently. They have a pretty good shiraz and a good malbec. This is a very pretty estate too, though the views at Delaire can't be beat, which is on your list already.

Cheers,

Tom

Cape Town
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning wine tasting day in Stellenbosch

You've got some great ideas already - I agree choosing the right wine farm can be really tricky as there are so many and limited time! Kanonkop and Warwick are favourites for Red, Villiera and Simonsig for bubbly (Simonsig also has amazing reds), or JC Le Roux for bubbly and nougat pairing, for whites definitely Jordan, Delaire is an absolute showstopper for either white, red and particularly for the view. I keep a blog and often write about cape town travel and wine tasting experiences. For more information you can click on "how to pick the perfect wine farm" at …blogspot.com/2010/07/eeny-meeny-miny-moe-is… or for a review of JC Le Roux try …blogspot.com/2010/10/jc-le-rouxs-house-of-g…

It's hard to go wrong in the Cape winelands. I hope you have a fantastic trip!

8. Re: Planning wine tasting day in Stellenbosch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2011, 05:16