We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rust en Vrede

Which Stellenbosch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Rust en Vrede

Am in Cape Town for the first time for only two nights in March and had decided to book Rust en Vrede for the Saturday night. The restaurant have responded with confirming our booking but with the words "Kindly note that the only available table is situated in close proximity to our restaurant's open plan kitchen. "

Just looking for some advice as to whether this will be okay? Just two of us, looking for a very special evening so advice or any other recommendations would be very welcome. Also looking for a nice spot for a long lunch on a Friday.

Thanks for any information

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rust en Vrede

If you want a quiet evening then perhaps not the best table but for a one-off experience you may also find this table highly entertaining - the staff at RenV are extremely good and will undoubtedly do their best to ensure you have a wonderful night. In some restaurants you actually pay more for a "chef's table" and to be honest I would rather have any table at RenV than the "finest" table in many another restaurant

Edited: 10 February 2011, 18:18
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rust en Vrede

Having eaten at ReV earlier this month, I will have to agree with Belfast Taxman about any table at ReV being better than the best table at a lot of other establishments. The way the restaurant is laid out (narrow and long), the table next to the open kitchen is probably not ideal, but the whole experience at ReV is so magical that you'll tend to forget the exact location of your table.

If you haven't fixed your other dinner yet, may I recommend The Test Kitchen by Luke Dale Robert in the old biscuit factory in Woodstock. TTK in my opinion, served the best meal we had in S. Africa. I believe they also do lunches.

We also liked Aubergine and have heard good things about La Combe but couldnt fit it in, this trip. Also check out Blues on Camps Bay for a leisurely lunch, but they arent fine dining, although they do a very good job with prawns, crayfish (lobsters), cape salmon, kinclip, and some other fish.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rust en Vrede

We had a similar table & 'staff watching' was a blast. When it later quietened down David came over & had a long chat with us. A great place & we'll be back in March '12. I've just booked with BA, yippee!

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rust en Vrede

I'd love to book a table but would want to drink the wine too. Can anyone suggest accommodation, basic is fine, that we could get a taxi from that wouldn't cost too much

Thanks

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rust en Vrede

We stay in Stellenbosch at Aan Dorpstraat B&B. It's only a 10 minute drive. Somerset West is a similar distance. I'm afraid I've no idea about taxi costs.

However, I'll find out & PM you.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rust en Vrede

Hi Shaz,

I'm told that it's ZAR 150 per person for the return journey, so approx a total of £25.00 if there are 2 of you. If your'e returning after 23.00 then it will be an additional ZAR 50.00. My friend says that there may be slightly lower prices but this quote is from a guy that she knows to be totally reliable.

Don't forget to make an early reservation for the restaurant. When are you visiting?

Edited: 30 January 2012, 07:12
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rust en Vrede

Many thanks, am visiting in august

California, Maryland
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rust en Vrede

best comment:

3. Re: Rust en Vrede

Mar 18, 2011, 8:23 AM

We had a similar table & 'staff watching' was a blast. When it later quietened down David came over & had a long chat with us. A great place & we'll be back in March '12. I've just booked with BA, yippee!

sincerely yours

ido shiponi

Clifornia

Edited: 30 January 2012, 08:10
McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rust en Vrede

Just in case you didn't know, David and Neil are no longer at Rust en Vrede. The former is in Johannesburg and the latter opens his own restaurant Buratta at The Old Biscuit Mill during February.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rust en Vrede

Yes, I am aware thanks but have also received reports that the restaurant is still maintaining a high standard, & obviously, the location really is fantastic. I'll also be dining at Tokara & Delaire during the 5 days in Stellenbsoch so it'll be good to compare.

I might even hold my own "Eating Out" awards ceremony!