We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winery with Goats!

Which Stellenbosch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Winery with Goats!

Now I know it's a long time since I was there on a very whirlwind trip (1997), but I definitely remember visiting a winery in the Stellenbosch area that had a "Goat tower" where the goats walked up a circular ramp around a tower which housed their pens!

Anyone know of this?

Also a winery which had peacocks roosting in the trees (may have been the same place!)

And no, I was NOT drunk on the winetastings!

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Winery with Goats!

The winery with the goats is Fairview.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,355 posts
5,588 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winery with Goats!

Confirmed. Visited Fairview early 2011, saw the lovely goats. Enjoyed wine and cheese tasting here. See review below for pictures, if helpful.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winery with Goats!

Fairview definitely has the goats, not sure about the peacocks.

The winery is very much on the "tour" route so is usually very busy.

The wines are okay including of course their Southern French styled "Goats du Roam"

Edited: 22 April 2012, 10:25
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winery with Goats!

Hi there

Yes indeed, it is Fairwiev Wine Estate. They also have purchased the farm next door where they have moved their other range, The Spice Route.

Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Jim-Coventry-UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Winery with Goats!

We visited Fairview last November again for a nice lunch, the "Goat shed restaurant" has excellent food for such a commercial set up.

Whilst enjoying lunch looking at the goat Tower I noticed a large Owl had taken residence in the top entry shelter? It was very hard to recognise at first with the bright sunlight and the darkness inside, but when I closed in with my camcorder, I could not believe it that it was a large owl inside, it also appeared to have young ones. It would have been a shock for the goats if they had ventured up to that level.

"And no, I was NOT drunk on the winetastings!" and I have the video clip to prove.

Well worth the visit, hopefully be back this November.

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winery with Goats!

Many thanks for all your replies, I KNEW I hadn't dreamt it...

Jewels

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,749 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winery with Goats!

We went to Lourensford winery in February and there were peacocks there.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winery with Goats!

Traveller from UK

I too like Lorensford. It doesn't get much of a mention on here, as it is usually overshadowed by its neighbour, Vergelegn.

It has a good range of wines to taste, which are pretty good and reasonably priced. I thought their River Garden Range was very good value for money. There is a nice restaurant on site, a coffee roastery and chocolates to buy. You can easily spend a good couple of hours here and a beautiful rose garden to wander round.

Lisa

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,749 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winery with Goats!

Lisassplaces,

Agree with you about Lourensford. We spent a very nice morning there and have a lovely lunch in the restaurant, sitting outside on the terrace.

10. Re: Winery with Goats!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 22:16