We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delaire or Tokara?

London, England...
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Delaire or Tokara?

Hello

I'll be driving from Hermanus to Stellenbosch on 5 October and have an itinerary but can't decide between Deaire or Tokara for lunch. Which has better views?

Also, please let me know what you think of my itinerary (based mostly on Tripadvisor reviews):

First stop Vergelegen

then Tokara or Delaire for lunch

then Clos Melverne for ice cream & wine

then Uva Mira

end with dinner at Rust en Vrede

Any opinions or suggestions will be greatly appeciated :)

thanks

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delaire or Tokara?

I think you will be pushed to do everything in your itinerary.

It might help to know where you will be staying the night.

Both Delaire and Tokara have great views but then so does Waterkloof (also a good restaurant) as does Hidden Valley (Overture Restaurant) both these would fit in better with a visit to Vergelegen, Uva Mira and Rust en Vrede. Clos Malverne and Tokara and Delaire are relatively off your route.

So depending on your timimg, you could do lunch at Waterkloof, then visit Vergelegen, then Uva Mira and then dinner at Rust en Vrede.

or:

Vergelegen, lunch at Morgenster or lunch at Overture, then Uva Mira etc

The options are many!

London, England...
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delaire or Tokara?

Will be staying in hermanus the night before so vergelegen is on the way. Then after dinner at rust en vrede will be staying at Jacana right near rust en vrede.

I thought it might be worth driving to different parts for different views and wines. Don't you think it's worth it? I'm thinking of cutting out delaire or tokara now and just going to clos for lunch. What do you think?

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delaire or Tokara?

Another option might be (assuming you leave Hermanus in good time) go to Vergelegen then up the R44, across the Annandale Road, along the R310 and head for Jordan for lunch. Great restaurant and lovely views. After lunch you could then visit Clos Malverne for your ice cream and then head towards Jacana to relax before your dinner at Rust en Vrede. The next day you could do Uva Mira (and some other wine farms) depending in where your next stop is!

There is so much to see and do - one has to be somewhat selective - even lunch at Jordan (or even Overture or Delaire or Tokara) and dinner at Rust en Vrede is quite a lot for one day!

Edited: 06 September 2012, 14:17
London, England...
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delaire or Tokara?

I might be swaying towards Jordan for lunch now! I see it's rated 2nd after rust en vrede. Uva Mira is quite close where we're staying so I guess we can play it by ear

We catch a flight the next day at 2pm so won't have much time for anywhere but could squeeze in Uva Mira before we leave

There really are so many places that look amazing! It's my first time doing the wine route and have spent hours looking on tripadvisor so really appreciate some guidance thanks :)

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Delaire or Tokara?

I would certainly recommend Jordans, most definitely one of our favourite wineland restaurants. I personally think lunch at Jordans - or wherever - and dinner at Rust en Vrede might be too much in one day.

Whatever you decide, you will not be disappointed. Have a great holiday. We shall be there in January.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delaire or Tokara?

I also would struggle with 2 large fine dining meals in a day

If you are looking for a lighter lunch, then Vergelegen or next door at Lourensford would be good options and I can recommend both!

Macsym also recommends Waterkloof. A very good suggestion, even without lunch. Great views, a very modern tasting room and excellent wines!

London, England...
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delaire or Tokara?

thanks for the replies. I've completely changed the itinerary, so we stop at places on route from hermanus to Stellenbosch.

the plan is:

Paul Cluver

Vergelegen

Morgenster for lunch

Uva Mira

the later dinner at Rust en Vrede

I'll let you know how it goes :)

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delaire or Tokara?

I like this new plan. Just had some Paul Cluver chardonnay last week. Some would say that chardonnay is not the perfect wine first thing after breakfast. Hahaha.. Pay no attention to them. Give it a taste..

Edited: 15 September 2012, 21:25
London, England...
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delaire or Tokara?

my theory is white wine is ok with breakfast! red can wait until brunch lol.

ya, my family drink Paul Cluver often and it's on the way so thought it's worth stopping there :)

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delaire or Tokara?

Hi Michelle

I see you intend to include Paul Cluver on your way from Hermanus to Stellenbosch. I agree that their wnes are very good. I particularly like the Reisling. However, I and others I spoke to, did not enjoy the wine tasting experience. The lady serving knew absolutely nothing about the wines and was not at all engaging. Definitely my worst ever tasting in South africa (and I have done a few). I think there are some much better wineries in the area to visit, and some small boutique wineries, which are very passionate about their wines! I would travel from Hermanus to Caledon on the R320, stopping at the Wine Village first! There are many wineries to visit on this road, but keep going up the gravel road (it is a very good gravel road) until you reach Creation. An excellent winery (also a very good lunch stop), the wines, views and service are top class. One of my favourite wineries. Then keep going until you reach the N2 and head towards Elgin. My favourites here are Elgin Vintners (although I see they have moved and at the moment, you need to make an appointment), Almenkerk, Gabrielskloof. Then as you head to Somerset West for Vergelegen, turn right at Sir Lowry's Pass and head to Waterkloof (as I previously mentioned - stunning views across False Bay. It is like a glass box perched on the hill.

I've not been to Morgenster and Uva Mira is on my "maybe" list for November.

So many wineries and not enough time!

Lisa