We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delaire or Tokara?

London, England...
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Delaire or Tokara?

Hello

I'll be driving from Hermanus to Stellenbosch on 5 October and have an itinerary but can't decide between Deaire or Tokara for lunch. Which has better views?

Also, please let me know what you think of my itinerary (based mostly on Tripadvisor reviews):

First stop Vergelegen

then Tokara or Delaire for lunch

then Clos Melverne for ice cream & wine

then Uva Mira

end with dinner at Rust en Vrede

Any opinions or suggestions will be greatly appeciated :)

thanks

London, England...
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Delaire or Tokara?

Hi Lisa

yes way too many wineries to choose from!

we will be going to the wineries in Hermanus the day before after we go whale watching. Going to go to Heaven for a late lunch then Hamilton Russell because this is my dad's favourie wine. Would love to go to Creation, but won't have enough time.

thanks for suggesting Waterkloof! it's on the way to Vergelegen so got to be worth visiting. I had read bad revews on Paul Cluver as a winery, but thought we might just stop there for a short while and buy some bottles for cheaper than the shop sells them and taste a few.

it'll be:

Paul Cluver (briefly)

waterkoof

vergelegen (probably have lunch here)

Uva Mira

Rust en Vrede fo dinner

sound good? :)

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Delaire or Tokara?

Sounds very good. You may get the Paul Cluver wines at the Wine Village shop too....

Shame you can't fit in Creation. It is a special place! It's only 10 - 15 minutes up the road from Hamilton Russell!

Will be interested in what you think of Uva Mira. When do you go?

And dinner at Rust en Vrede has to be the best way to end off the day! Unfortunately we will be in Stellenbosch on a Monday and Tuesday this time, and it's shut! Still to decide on our fine dining choice for one of the evenings!

Lisa

London, England...
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Delaire or Tokara?

Is Creation that close to Hamilton Russell? it sounded like a fair drive up a dirt road. and isn't Heaven also very good? i could be tempted to swap Heaven for Creation... although Creation didn't reply to my email and Heaven did!

it'll be Friday, 5 October that we'll be in Stellenbosch and eating at Rust en vrede. From what I've read on tripadvisor and the website, uva Mira looks beautiful! i'll let you know what i think. might not be the best judge of the actual wines after tasting them all day (I'm not driving and don't intend to spit)

I can't wait! don't think I've ever researched 1 day of a holiday so much, but I'm thinking it'll be worth it.

From the reviews Jordan looks really good. Although I'm South african i've never been to Stellenbosch

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Delaire or Tokara?

I would also suggest Creation over Newton Johnson. Food at Heaven was enjoyable but the service in the wine tasting section was extremely poor (and I know another person to experience the same). If you do decide to go to Creation, you could also visit Ataraxia. AS Lisa suggests best then to carry on to Caledon and join the N2 there. If you are running late, Paul Cluver now has a restaurant (although it was closed the day I passed by recently). or then Waterkloof for lunch. I would also try and visit Morgenster, lovely setting, very good reds and excellent olive oil - always had very good attention here. It too now has a restaurant. Uva Mira (and Hidden Valley) could be left for the next morning!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Delaire or Tokara?

Hi Michelle

15 minutes will get you to Creation. It is also a very good gravel road. I am planning on having our last lunch there, on our way back to the airport!

Creation are open every day and you don't need to book. I too would definitely choose over Heaven. They have food and wine pairings or meat and cheese platters. You don't want to be too full for dinner at Rust en Vrede!

PArt of the experience for my though were the magnificent views, attentive service and most definitely very good wines.

Would definitely be interested to hear about your experience at Uva Mira. Jordan is on my definitely visit list for November. As is Ataraxia!!!

Lisa

London, England...
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Delaire or Tokara?

It'll be the day before stellenbosch that we will be going to hamilton Russell and now possibly creation. So the whale watching only ends at 2 so will only be at either heaven or creation at about 2.30 and need to be at Hamilton Russell by 4 at the latest

That's why I thought heaven might be better as it's closer. But if there's not much further to get to creation I might do that. We will also be pretty hungry by then which was also why I thout heaven but the food at creation looks good

Wish there was time to do it all

intergoal
Level Contributor
23 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Delaire or Tokara?

There are major road works on the road through the Hemel en Aarde valley at present and travelling onwards to Caledon would mean a diversion and delay of around 45 mins. This would not affect you if you are just going up to Creation and back down, you can still get to Creation without much difficulty or delay. It’s only 10-15 mins to Hamilton Russell from there, however I feel 2:30 at Creation for lunch and 4:00 at Hamilton Russell won't allow you to enjoy the experience to the full, which is a shame as Creation is wonderful. It might be an idea to taste at Hamilton Russell before lunch, they only offer two wines at a tasting so it shouldn’t take up too much time, you can then have a more leisurely late lunch at Creation.

I would agree with other posters, your itinerary the following day is very ambitious, I feel to get the best out of the lunch venues on your list you would need plenty of time to savour and enjoy, these are not in and out in an hour kind of places. I spent nearly 3 hours at Jordan for lunch a while back. You might want to consider an itinerary that takes you along the coast through Kleinmond and Gordons Bay, it’s a spectacular coastal drive. If you do go the N2 route, look out for a parking area at the top of the hill just after the Steenbras Dam, if you pull in here you can take in the magnificent view from the top of Sir Lowrys Pass.

Once you get to Somerset West/Stellenbosch you have an embarrassment of riches from which to choose. One note of caution, Rust en Vrede is a once in a lifetime dining experience, especially if you go for the full tasting menu with wine (surely you must). I have no idea how big an appetite you have, but the full experience at Rust en Vrede is a challenge and it would be a shame to take the edge off it by over indulging at lunch. If your appetite is up to it, Guardian Peak has the views and the menu to match as does Waterkloof. Vergelegen is pleasant but lacks the dramatic views of the other two. Nearby, I would recommend Waterford, just for wine tasting, it’s a stunning tasting environment and the wines are terrific.

Edited: 20 September 2012, 13:50
Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Delaire or Tokara?

For a start you'll need a larger dress size by the time you've finished!!

I much preferred Delaire to Tokara, both for food & the views. IMHO Rust en Vrede is the best restaurant in SA. Both the ordinary & the taster menus are wonderful

London, England...
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Delaire or Tokara?

Hello All

Thanks so much for your recommendations! I thought I'd let you know what we did and how it was.

Lisa, Uva Mira was amazing! such beautiful views! there's 2 balconies, so you can look out all the way to the ocean from one, then have views of vineyards and mountains from the other. We sat inside as i was cold and the sun came in the all-glass wallsand the wine was also good!

Ended up getting to creation another day after shark cage diving and it was so worth it! had the food and wine pairing which was delicious and only about R100! I'd say Creation Chardonnay is the best Chardonnay I've tasted!

had lunch at Morgenster which was really good too. Had buffalo ravioli - yum! Waterkloof was absolutely amazing! Thanks for the recommendation! Ive told all my friends they have to go there.

Thanks again for the recommendations. it was a really special trip :)

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Delaire or Tokara?

Hi Michelle F

So glad you had a good time and enjoyed two of my favourite wineries, Creation and Waterkloof. Somerset West now has several wineries where you can get a a good lunch, including Morgenster by your recommendation, and plenty of wineries which could keep you occupied for half a day.

Thanks for the tip on Uva Mira, I will definitely make sure I get there!

For anyone that's interested, Creation are now doing a guided vineyard and fynbos walk. I have booked for December so will report back!

Thanks

Lisa