We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine estates around Stellenbosch / Franschhoek / Paarl

Which Stellenbosch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Germany
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Wine estates around Stellenbosch / Franschhoek / Paarl

We are interested in seeing the most charming wine estates in the area: architecture, gardens, atmosphere etc. Sorry to say that we are not wine gourmets, probably we will not taste any wines as we have the car with us and never drink when driving. We just want to visit the old-fashioned places, enjoy a nice view, a beautiful garden with a restaurant. We have a full day and could easily visit 4, 5 places. Please recommend your favourite wineries.

Thank you.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine estates around Stellenbosch / Franschhoek / Paarl

Wine tasting is not the same as wine drinking - you are allowed to spit

For the combination you want I suggest amongst many others, Vergelegen, Waterford, Dornier or Tokara (for lunch), Delaire for the views etc Read many previous posts on this subject

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
101 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine estates around Stellenbosch / Franschhoek / Paarl

Hi

Here is my list with reasons, in Franschhoek

Boschendal, gardens and architecture, restaurant

Haute Cabriere, views

In Stellenbosch

Muratie - for atmosphere

Dornier- gardens, restaurant

Uitkyk - architecture

Vergelegen for gardens, architecture

Hope this helps

Hugh

shropshire
Level Contributor
126 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine estates around Stellenbosch / Franschhoek / Paarl

Hi

I would add Babylonstoren to the above list. Just outside Franschhoek, with fabulous gardens and restaurant.

The architecture and setting are beautiful.

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine estates around Stellenbosch / Franschhoek / Paarl

Hello Reiffi,

I love going to the goatshed at Fairview. They also make cheese and their own olive oil- so you can taste both. They have a lovely informal restaraunt as well.

I see that you haven't included Constantia. If you are staying in Cape Town, its not far from the City. There are some lovely Estates to Visit. Groot Constantia, one of the oldest in the county also has a beautiful Cape Dutch house where the governor of the Cape lived., 2 restaurants and a musuem.

5. Re: Wine estates around Stellenbosch / Franschhoek / Paarl

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2013, 10:15