We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vinehopper - Northern or Southern route

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Vinehopper - Northern or Southern route

We will be in Stellenbosch in March and this seems like a good way to see and experience the vineyards. Which route is the best one? Ideally we would like to do the vinehopper on a Friday so its looking like the Northern route however we can swap it for the Saturday and do the Southern route if that is better.

We are also planning on going horse riding and are looking at the Wine Valley Horse Trails at Rhebokskloof near Paarl. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vinehopper - Northern or Southern route

Good day

Rhebokskloof is a very nice place for a picnic as well. If you do like red wine, then I will suggest Stellenbosch region. If you prefer white wine, then I will suggest Durbanville. The following wine estates are very nice in Durbanville, Poplars and they also have a great cheese board with wine. Then Durbanville Hills is also nice for wine tasting. And for dinner I will suggest Cassia restaurant at Ntidia wine estate. If you prefer red wine I will suggest the following Guardian Peak, or Long table restaurant at Dombeya. Enjoy!!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vinehopper - Northern or Southern route

Jstander

Good to see someone recommending Durbanville on TA. It hardly ever gets a mention and is a good region to visit, with all the wine farms pretty close to each other

I'm sorry though, Durbanville Hills is my least favourite. Nitida, Hillcrest and my personal favourite Diemersdal would be my choice

Lunch at Diemersdal is also very good, and in fact and I will be there a week on Saturday!

Lisa

Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vinehopper - Northern or Southern route

I have just looked at both of the vinehopper routes. There are two or three farms on each route that I have not been to, but both of the routes have some extremely lovely farms. I think that if I could only do one and had to choose I would go with the Northern route. In my humble opinion, the drive on the Northern route is prettier (although everywhere in the winelands is beautiful) and Delheim is one of my personal favourite farms. Either way it will be fabulous though - there is nothing bad about a day out wine tasting!

I hope that you have an amazing time. Please shout if you have any other questions.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vinehopper - Northern or Southern route

I agree with the Northern Route! Would definitely be my choice as well. And Warwick fantastic for a picnic lunch. I would probably skip Berg Kelder on that route and maybe even Quinn Rock...however some great farms where you can walk to includes from Quinn Rock... Knorhoek and from Dellheim you can easily walk to Muratie...it is not far (less than a kilometer) and it is not on the main road so safe to walk.

5. Re: Vinehopper - Northern or Southern route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 07:19