We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to stay?

Which Candidasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
How long to stay?

Hi,

We are only in Bli for 12 nights this time but want to try somewhere new. There are obviously resorts in CD, but how big is the town? HOw much of a walk is it from the resorts that front the water? How many eating options in town are there, or does everyone eat at the resort?

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to stay?

There are quite a few diffeerent eating options in CD, you could easily not eat at the same place twice for quite a while. I guess how long you stay there depends on what else you want to do/see in your 12 days. I would think a bare minimum for CD would be 2 nights but hopefully you could stay a night a 2 longer.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to stay?

small town that runs along main road.

hotels on the waterside

lots of places to eat

not much beach except at low tide

try goggle earth to get a better idea of the town

try this you tube link

youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCfO7saTUeQ

also search candidasa on you tube for other vids

lonely planet bali will provide the most info on the area

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to stay?

Hi Marilyn, Soo Darwin (Destination Expert) will see this shortly I'm sure, but in answer to some of your questions. Candidasa is easily walkable from one end to the other. The resorts are fairly small, more boutique style and the restaurants are plentiful. There is one main road that runs right through town, then various minor lanes leading to accommodation. A lot of the accommodation is right on the water, as the road runs behind them and there is a small lake area right in the middle on the beach side. How long to stay depends on how easily you get bored. At least 3 days, but longer if you like to relax and let the world go by.

SYDNEY
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long to stay?

As mentioned Soo Darwin maybe able to expand on your question on length stay etc., and other things to do, however I stay there alot and can vouch for the number of good eating options, just to name a few, La Rouge, Rendevous, The Dinning Room and The Terrace Restuarant. Yes I also agree that a minimum of 2 nights would be needed.

Cheers

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,021 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long to stay?

Hello all and thanks for the mention. I agree with all that has been said above. The village of Candidasa is perhaps around one and a half kilometres in length with resorts, homestays, restaurants and small shops dotted along its length, on both the sea and land sides of the road through.

Yes, for a small place, it has an abundance of restaurants and some are as good as you will get anywhere in Bali. There's a couple of pubs/bars, which have live music on alternate nights and basically, it's a great place to stay, far from the madding crowds.

We find lots to keep us busy, especially the water activities, ie swimming, snorkelling, sailing, fishing, body surfing some days locally and board surfing some days a little further north up the coast. We also enjoy the trip to Amlapura to visit its market or other shopping options and enjoy the scenery along the way.

There's a number of sceneic day trips you can do to take you to temples, rice terraces and a lovely coast drive through to Amed.

So I think all our responses will give you some more ideas about CD and the surrounding area. Enjoy your stay.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long to stay?

Hi all, I am travelling to Bali in late oct with my husband and 2 young children for 13 nights. I was thinking of 5 nights in Candidasa, then 3 in Ubud followed by 5 in Legian. Does this sound like a good combination? Has any one caught the ferry to Lombok and is it worth it for a day trip, i really want to show my children Bali not just the touristy areas.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long to stay?

A day trip to Lombok is just not practical, I"m afraid, you will spend too much time travelling to experience anything of Lombok. Lombok is at a bare minimum a 2 night trip and even then you aren't doing it justice.

As for your Bali break down, it really depends on you and what your activity level is. If it were me, with 2 kids I would increase the Ubud stay and decrease the CD stay by 1 night at least. I only say this because especially if it's your first trip to Bali, Ubud is so much closer for heaps of day trips and activiites than CD is, so logistically Ubud is a better base for day trips.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,021 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long to stay?

Have a look at a day trip to Nusa Lembongan (instead of Lombok) perhaps whilst you are stayng in Legian. It's a lovely little island and very suitable for just a day trip or a couple nights if you prefer.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long to stay?

Thanks all, I will definately look at increasing stay in ubud, a travel agent today told me to not even bother with CD as it has no infrastructure and she has had some recent bad reports from visitors, this has dissappointed and confused me. Will give Lombok a miss then.

I am hoping that we can visist traditional villages around CD and just relax.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,886 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long to stay?

if you choose not to stay in candi dasa then consider staying in Sanur instead. more relaxed and well suited to families and plenty of shops, restaurants, water activities, safe bike riding and close to the busier areas which you can easily and cheaply access by taxi / driver also a good base for day trips.

Get answers to your questions about Candidasa