We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers!

Which Candidasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
First timers!

Hi, myself and 4 teenage children are travelling to Bali for the first time, and have booked to stay in Candidasa for 7 nights. Can anyone tell me if the kids will love or hate it? And cost of travelling from the airport? Also, any markets or things to do near by. Thanks.

Mandy

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,453 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers!

Hi Maloo and welcome to the Bali forum.

Gut instinct says that you may like it, but the kids may get a little bored for 7 nights. CD is nice and relaxing, but there's not exactly a lot there; maybe 3 or 4 shops, a couple of massage places, restaurants, an internet cafe with a slow connection. I'm no teenager but even I was crawling the walls after 4 nights there. Thank goodness for my trusty pack of playing cards to keep me sane.

Nearby you have Amlapura which has a market, a Hardys Dept Store etc, it's a working town rather than a tourist town, and you also have the Water Palaces of Tirttaganga and Ujung close by.

Cost from the airport, roughly 335000Rp.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,069 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers!

Can't imagine they will hate it...if they like being in, on or under the water, then there's loads of different actvities to keep them busy, swimming, fishing, body boarding, snorkelling, sailing, etc.

You can drive through to Amlapura and visit the markets and town shopping there.

The cost to have a driver take you to Candidasa should be around 350,000.

If you and/or your children are interesed in helping out in an english language class in a village near by, I can give you the contact details of the teacher who is running the classes. They are on 3 afternoon a week for a couple of hours and any help that you might like to offer, is greatly appreciated. It is great fun and I know they will enjoy it.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers!

Hi Maloo

I have to say that I am with Happy Noodleboy here - I really think that after 2 or 3 days your kids will be bored - I think that at their age they need more to keep them busy than they will find in Candi Dasa! Maybe you should think about changing your holiday to include 3 nights in CD and then the rest of the time a little more 'lively'.. Obviously this is only my opinion:)

Cheers

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers!

All I can say Maloo is my kids were most unimpressed when we took them there and couldnt wait to leave!!! and they weren't the sort of kids to become bored easily!!! they loved the water but after a day or two they were over that...I think 7 days would not be a cool idea!!!

Have to concur with Noodles on that one

SYDNEY
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers!

Last trip in June, I recall more than 3 or 4 shops, however there are not a lot of "shops" for children.

A friend just left CD with her 2 children for 5 days and loved it. Perhaps look at a short time if you have concerns already as CD is not for everyone, however on the other hand but some love it and wished they stayed longer.

I generally pay 350,000 for my trip one way to CD with a reputable driver.

Cheers

Gawler, Australia
Level Contributor
803 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers!

I would also have to agree with Happy Noodleboy and Ilab here. I would not be looking to spend anymore than 2-3 days in Candi Dasa with teenagers. Sure they can spend time swimming and snorkelling etc but it wont take long for them to bore of that and in will come the bickering and fighting due to pure boredom. I would be looking to spend 4-5 nights in Sanur or maybe even Ubud and 2-3 nights in Candi Dasa although if I was taking my teenage daughter it would be more likely to be only 2 nights in Candi Dasa. Sanur is also quieter than Kuta, Legian and Tuban etc however it still has plenty of shopping and restaurants etc for teenagers as well as beach front offering activities such as jet skiing etc.. Ubud also offers more shopping etc and is a different experience to both Candi Dasa or Sanur with an opportunity to introduce them to more of the cultural aspects that Bali has to offer.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers!

I too have to agree with the majority here. With 4 teenagers you really need to be in places where they can entertain themselves and be amongst others their own age and with a more lively nightlife. That isn't going to happen in CD.

A couple/few nights at the most. If they are into surfing, you could replace the time with a few nights on Lembongan Island, but only if they are into surfing, even here they would find too quiet. The age of guests here is younger because of the surfing, but still no real night life.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers!

Maloo, my kids would love it, but plan to do a few tours from here, to keep them occupied.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,069 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timers!

I think it does depend on the children involved and whether they need to be somewhere with lots of attractions. As I indicated, if they love the ocean, than great there's loads of activities available. If they like to go on walks/hikes, there's those too from CD through the countryside.

I also think visiting the school is a great afternoon visit. The children vary in age from around 10 to early teens and so it's a great opportunity to meet some great local children.

I think HNB has forgotten how many little shops there are in CD....many more than he recalls (next time I will try and count them...tee hee). Everything from clothing to antiques and many good restaurants as well.

It's very much your own knowledge of your children which will help you decide if 7 days is too much time in CD. However, do remember, you are no further away from some of the theme parks to go on a day excrusion to, than if you were staying in the busier southern resort areas.

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timers!

Hi Maloo!

Welcome to the Bali Forum!

I am curious as to what made you choose Candi Dasa as your base for your first visit to Bali.

Following the posts here, from your question as to whether your teenagers will like it, well, if they like mingling with others their own age and shopping for clothes, dvd's, makeup, going to places like Waterbom Park, eating fast foods, then I very much doubt they will enjoy 7 days in Candi Dasa!

If they are seeking a quiet, relaxing time by the sea, then Candi Dasa will fit the bill.

It is a long drive from the airport, after a 5-6 hour flight (?), a very long first and last day for you all!

I would reconsider and split the time away between somewhere South, e.g. Legian or Kuta and Candi Dasa.

That way you and the teenagers will experience two distinctly different aspects to all things Bali!

cheers

wendy

Get answers to your questions about Candidasa