We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English classes

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,271 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
English classes

Just a reminder to anyone who may be in the Candidasa area, that English classes run at Bugbug school (approximately 20 minutes north of Candidasa) would really benefit from your visit.

English speaking volunteers, (who could spare an hour or two on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday afternoon), are greatly appreciated to help in class. No previous teaching experience is necessary.

Listening to you speak English, really helps rhe children, to better understand the language. They do not get the exposure to the various accents and pronunciations, as those who live in the larger tourist areas of the south.

Please make contact with the programme's coordinator;

www.tripadvisor.com/members-forums/eastrips

Many thanks.

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
885 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: English classes

I am going in April next year with my 2 girls aged 10 & 13, would it be ok for us all to go

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,271 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: English classes

They would love for all of you to visit - the age group in the classes is 10 - 15.

Thanks Jeanette.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: English classes

We did this near Ubud,,,FANTASTIC!

SYDNEY
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: English classes

Thanks for the reminder Sue, hope to have better luck getting there in March then I had in June.

Lucky you being in CD.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
156 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: English classes

Thanks Sue, we're going in Feb this year with our daughters aged 7 and 8. Will get in contact

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: English classes

This is a fantastic programme. My partner and I spent an afternoon there in mid August and although it was hard work it was such an enjoyable experience that I would recommend to anyone. I hope that plenty more people take up this unique opportunity to give something back whilst on holiday in Bali.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,271 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: English classes

Glad that you enjoyed your visit Kathryn.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
322 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: English classes

Hi Sue

We are going in April 2013. Would you like us to bring any school supplies

PM me your address & we would love to be able to help

I have 5 children 13,10, 7, 6 & 3. They would love to help..especially the older one

Cheers

Lisa

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: English classes

Sue you have hit on my pet project when it comes to helping Balinese children. Helping to teach them to speak passable english is the best way of opening up better job opportunities for them when they get older.

Projects like these are a fantastic way to "give" to the community without it costing the tourist anything more than a bit of time and has a far greater impact on thier lives than any toy or candy will ever have.

Good on you for promoting this scheme. If I can help I certainly will.

the Kimberley, West...
Level Contributor
817 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: English classes

I'd disagree with you Whinnie. Job opportunities might be enhanced by speaking another language but that has to stand alongside being well educated and living within a healthy economy. But having conversational English alone, particularly if they can not read it or write it will only help them to become a better hustler; it wont get them a sustainable job

Get answers to your questions about Candidasa
Recent Conversations