We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of small Candidasa gems...

Which Candidasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,071 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
A couple of small Candidasa gems...

On our most recent visit to Bali and Candidasa, we visited two places, which I feel are worthy of mention...both are in Jalan Mendira, a few minutes drive south of Candidasa.

The first place, was a small café/restaurant named Padang Kecag. With a seating capacity of around 25, get in early or book, as it is well worth a visit. It's situated on the left hand side of Jalan Mendira, around half way from the start of the road to Seabreeze Villas.

I believe the meal we had there, was probably the second best we had in Candidasa this trip, ie it beat a number of the higher profile, better known establishments for quality, taste, value for money and choices.

For instance, the special the following day, was Young Papaya Prawn Salad/Grilled Mahi Mahi with orange sauce or tomato salsa/Spice Chocolate Samosa.

Located on the right of Jalan Mendira and around 200 metres from the start of the road, is Alam Zempol. It is a small local producer of soaps, lotions, potions, incense, bathe bombs, body sprays and more. For those of us who love these shops, it's a great spot to stock up on some beautiful bathroom treats.

I look forward to returning to both, next trip :)

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,425 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple of small Candidasa gems...

Thanks Sue. We will be going through CD so will definately call in to both places.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
771 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple of small Candidasa gems...

oh sue, both of those places sound absolutely devine....pleased that you had a great time again!

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
254 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple of small Candidasa gems...

Sue is this within walking distance from Bayshore, before or after the service station.

Many thanks

Sandra

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,071 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple of small Candidasa gems...

After the service station and probably the same distance (at least) again....to get to Jalan Mendira...too far to walk, unless you are very keen walker along that darn busy road....blast those trucks.

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
254 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple of small Candidasa gems...

Sounds to far but still worth a visit, might have to convince one resort owner to dine with us instead of De5. Couldn't agree more those trucks are a b???????? menace. Watched one slowly go through town one night it was so high that it had trouble getting under the powerlines even the locals came out to watch, probably hoping for no power outage.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,071 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple of small Candidasa gems...

Definitely not a DE5 in comparison. This is top end food, but without the décor and price tag...a certain resort owner took us there, so he'll be keen to go I am sure, if he is free.

I thought leaving at 6am to go to airport, we would see fewer trucks...in fact, the roads were busier then, than at other times....sometimes up to 7 trucks in a row :(

I wish the local village councils would put in place a speed limit through town....the speed at which both some trucks and bike riders are travelling, is ridiculous...I am waiting to hear of a major crash, as we often watched as both a truck and motorbike riders, overtook a truck at the same time and as they approached a bend..,more :(

Edited: 01 August 2013, 06:37
Guangzhou
Level Contributor
434 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A couple of small Candidasa gems...

Great suggestions, Sue. I have clipped and pasted. And if I see a lady in a swimsuit with a saggy baggy backside I'll say hello!

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,071 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A couple of small Candidasa gems...

Haha Pat...I hide it or try and stay under water until the crowds go away....one can get very pruney at times :)

Candidasa, Indonesia
Level Contributor
307 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A couple of small Candidasa gems...

Hi Sue ... will take a look at these places ASAP - better be good ;-)

Fran, 2 separate nights - one night a truck ripped off our phone line from the villa, the other night another truck ripped off our power cable ! (the power box surround went with it !) ... some are just loaded up WAY too high. And yes, way too fast (on the way back up north for another load of sand and rock for all the new hotels we need to continually build down south - NOT !)

Sue again, did you know CD has a speed limit ! ... yes, a sigh at each end of town - 40 KM/H - serious !

But all the truck drivers must be dyslexic - lol.

One of my aims in life, is to get solar powered led speed lights for CD (maybe a pipe dream, but I did dream once of buying a house and living in Bali, and that happened, so you never know what is possible). The next trick is to get the local Polisi to enforce it (I know, another lol) – maybe a slab of Bintang per month for them may do it ;-)

Regards, Geoff

p.s. seems that Brad has a few dinners coming up ;-)

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,071 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A couple of small Candidasa gems...

Hm, I believe it will be, but if not....it's popcorn on me at The New Queen :)

Never saw the sign...wish those lovely Polisi officers, we chatted to in the shelter near the lagoon, above the Polisi boat, would enforce the rule.

Mr Brad is often up for a noice dinner.

Get answers to your questions about Candidasa