We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Curious: recommended warungs in forum but no review... why?

Taiwan
Level Contributor
107 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Curious: recommended warungs in forum but no review... why?

Am in CD right now, and have been trying the different warungs recommended here in the forum (and street food) - and loving it!

But just wondering... is there a reason why there are no reviews on tripadvisor for these warungs despite the recommendations here at the forum (aside from perhaps not knowing the exact address, which seems to be required for a review on tripadvisor)?

For example, De5, which my driver said it gets plenty of "westerner" visitors as well as locals, has only two reviews, all in Japanese. No English.

Also, just wondering about Warung Boni, which has a bunch of raving reviews but no one gave clear directions on how to get there/its location - luckily someone left Bon's email and phone number, I wrote him and he responded with clear directions very quickly.

I just want to make sure that there is not some kind of tacit understanding to keep the little places that serve really good local food (to mostly locals) from turning too touristy? Or, does this have anything to do with taxes, some warungs charge 10%, some don't (does anyone know why)? Does the level of business they do make a difference?

Perhaps I'm thinking too much, but thought I'd ask anyway - better safe than sorry - too many stories of good local places that get ruined after exposure, I don't want to contribute to that.

But at the same time, I'd like to share my experience with people who would enjoy eating at these places (and if this would really help with the warungs' business without negative impact, even better...)

Your thoughts?

Alex

Taiwan
Level Contributor
107 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Curious: recommended warungs in forum but no review... why?

Thanks Linda! :)

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
320 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Curious: recommended warungs in forum but no review... why?

I have posted last year my review for Warung Kartini in Three Brothers Gang in Legian..

Try It you will not be disappointed

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Curious: recommended warungs in forum but no review... why?

I triied to put a restaurant on TA last year but gave up in the end as it was just too hard and I didn't have all the info - had their address name etc but gave up in the end - pity because it was a great little place just behind the Padma

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Curious: recommended warungs in forum but no review... why?

Dimsum could you please post directions to Warung Boni? Cheers

Taiwan
Level Contributor
107 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Curious: recommended warungs in forum but no review... why?

Hi Lisa,

This is the direction Bon gave me:

"Our place on the way to Bali Sangrila Hotel, just a head till You find Puri Bagus Hotel and 100m frm this Hotel. Or You can contac us to 081 8565 250"

The main road through Candidasa is Raya Candidasa. If you are heading (northeast? Where the sea is on your right), just follow the main strip until it curves to the left. Don't follow the road. Keep going straight onto the narrow road. It is dotted all the way on either side with hotels, villas, resorts.... The very last one is Hotel Puri Bagus. It is actually a cross road. Don't turn. Just keep going straight. You will also see the sign for Warung Boni at that intersection (and be careful, cars and scooters only honk and don't slow down at intersections). Just keep on walking... and walking... and walking... until there is a slight hill, and Warung Boni will be on your left.

Not hard to find, just a long walk. They can pick you up and drop you off at your hotel, Bon seems to prefer phone calls over email, but he's pretty good about responding to emails given sufficient time. bon.sukarta@mail.com

I've walked there once from Shangrila (already on that narrow road) in late afternoon and it got pretty hot. (And the garden seats were in the sun at that time, too. During lunch time the garden seats are in the shade, or wait til sun down, if the heat is too much for you). It's a nice stroll through a quiet neighborhood, though. Since I was there just by myself, they use a scooter to pick me up and drop me. But I'm pretty sure they use a car when there is more than one person.

Hope this helps! Enjoy!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Curious: recommended warungs in forum but no review... why?

Hi Again and yes it helps heaps as we will be staying at Puri Oka which is on Jl Puri Bagus, Awesome directions :)

17. Re: Curious: recommended warungs in forum but no review... why?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Candidasa