We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toll road payments

London, United...
Level Contributor
245 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
Toll road payments

Hello

We will be collecting a hire car from Faro next week, from a company we haven't used before & are concerned about the A22 toll confusion.

What is the latest regarding the toll payment when returning the car to the airport,as I understand that there is a two day delay before the toll can be payed?

We're a little concerned about leaving credit card details.

Also,where is the nearest place to Burgau where we can pay the tolls generated during the main part of our holiday?

Any other information much appreciated.

Cheers

BWSW

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
21,039 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toll road payments

"where is the nearest place to Burgau where we can pay the tolls generated during the main part of our holiday?" probably the post offices in Lagos or Praia da Luz. Also possible at Payshops, here's the list for Lagos http://www.payshop.pt/agentes/concelho.aspx (portuguese only)

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
828 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toll road payments

Hi, who are you renting your car with? We stayed in Burgau in August and picked up our car from faro airport from Travelrent who are out in carpark 4. We paid them 20 euros and was told this was to cover the cost of the transponder and toll costs. If it was anything extra they would be in touch but so far they have not so we presume alls ok. We were happy to pay the twenty euro fee because we used the toll road a few times with trips to the water park etc and it also saved time for us in having to que at a post office and waste our holiday so we were very happy with that arrangement. We booked our car through rhinocarhire and it says on the voucher who the car company will be. Hope that helps. Enjoy Burgau, we loved it!

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,828 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toll road payments

You dont mention the company but Unfortunately it's pretty much standard procedure to leave your credit card details with the company. What you need to find out is are they going to take anything off the card as a security deposit or just keep the details for security. There have been some bad stories on here if you have a search around. It all depends on the hire company.

Tolls.... Some hire car companies have fitted transponders into the cars and they bill you before hand for the credit they put on the transponder, average seems to be 20 euro, part of that includes the rental of the unit. You won't get a refund for unused credit and will be charged if you have used any extra. The whole toll system has caused problems all round! Hope that helps you further.

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
828 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toll road payments

Travelrent do take your credit card details for the excess insurance on it which I think was 750 euros. This does not come off your card, it's just their rip off safety measure. However we have used Travelrent 3 times now and know the system and know that unless we damage or write off the car, we dont actually get charged anything so have been very happy with them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
245 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toll road payments

Thanks for all the info.

We have hired the car from Economy car hire & as mentioned have never used them before.

I e-mailed them this morning regarding the transponder & await a reply.

From what I've managed to find on the web there was a shortage of transponders & not all companys have them,hence my concern.

The link to places where we could pay,if we need to,was not much use,being in Portugese ,but thanks anyway.

I guess Burgau is too small to have it's own Post office?

We have been there before & don't remember seeing one.

If I find out anything usefull while there I'll post it upon our return.

Cheers

BWSW

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
828 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toll road payments

No, Burgau does not have a post office, just a postal van than comes so many times a week for the odd hour! Are economy car rental a third party if you like, not the actual car hire company? Don't worry too much, I think it will be easy to pay in luz if need and no one yet has been charged for the return toll to the airport, if you do it will only be for a very few euros so not the end of the world. Also I am pretty sure that most of the car hire companys now have transponders fitted, all they are are little things clipped up near your mirror and they been sometimes when passing through the tolls. Honestly, it's not worth worrying about, just see what the situation is when you get there and go from there. Have a fab holiday, if you want any info on Burgau I'd be happy to tell you or help if I can!

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,828 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toll road payments

Bigsmallworld, we hire our car through economycarhire and always use Travelrent, as emandmaddy said never had a problem either. Once you have used economycarhire you can next time pick your carhire firm. Maybe you could get Travelrent anyway this time? They take card details but dont take any money out.

London, United...
Level Contributor
245 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toll road payments

Hello

Thanks again for the info.

I didn't realise Economy were a third party-our friends actualy made the booking as they are going out a few days before us & collecting the car.

Will pass on your tips as my friend was a bit worried.

Many thanks & really looking forward to our return to Burgau.

Cheers

BWSW

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Toll road payments

If you don't get a transponder and have to post-pay your tolls you can also do this at a PayShop, though their payment system is less sophisticated than the Post Office's. There is a PayShop in Luz and one in Espiche and one in the Intermarche at Budens if you're heading west.

London, United...
Level Contributor
245 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toll road payments

Hello again

My friend phoned Economy car hire this morning & we do indeed have a Travelrent car.

They take €20 upfront & any balance when the car is returned,so no hassle running around for Payshops-though the info. may come in handy in the future.

Thanks for all the responses.

Cheers

BWSW

Get answers to your questions about Burgau
More Burgau Topics