We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I stay on Armona Island???

Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Should I stay on Armona Island???

I am sitting here staring at the deposit cheque for Castaway Cottage on Armona Island for a week next Summer (extremely early I know but I'm desperate to get a holiday in the sun next year!). Has anyone heard anything about this place or, alternatively, do you know of a lovely cottage on Armona Island (if you think it's a good place to go to) that will sleep 5/6. Many thanks!

Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

I forgot to say that I'll be going with my husband as well as a 7 yr old, 4 yr old and 2 yr old ... Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,479 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

I have only been to Armona on a day trip, so my impressions may be a little skimpy, but here goes.

Armona is a couple of miles off the coast from Olhao. It is a long, thin, sandy island, very low and mostly fairly empty. I am sure I read somewhere that you can't buy a property there unless your family ties go back to the fifteenth generation or something.

The only access is by foot passenger ferry. There are no roads on the island and therefore no cars etc. In fact the only vehicles I saw apart from bikes was a golf cart looking thing collecting rubbish. There was a very nice restaurant near the ferry dock and a couple of others nearby. There is a small shop but it seemed that most of the locals take the ferry over to Olhao. There are plenty of private owner boats and water taxis whizzing back and forth. I saw one being loaded with fridges!

The 'main street' of the island is a few minute walks along what is reallt a broad pathway, lined by some very nice looking houses, then it opens out into a wide sandy beach facing the ocean.

I am fairly sure you would have a good holiday there, if you can do without the bright lights and big city stuff.

However, you should perhaps wait a bit until you hear from someone who has stayed there for more than a few hours!

Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

Thank you very much indeed for your response. Was the beach clean and pretty? We're staying '50 paces from the lagoon and 2 mins from the beach' ... I'm hoping it's not going to be a mudbath!

Falkirk
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

Hi Derek here from Falkirk ,

I am also considering a holiday on Armona next year . I havent been there but go frequently to Tavira , some miles along the coast ( towards Spain and not the major tourist resorts ) . Its lovely there , no rip offs and traditional Porto . If Armona is similar then , great . Im going back to Tavira next month and will further research Armona although the thought of living on the beach , no cars , no mad pubs , does appeal very much .

London
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

The whole area around Olhao is superb. after reading this article:

guardian.co.uk/travel/…

we went this summer and followed it to the letter (ate at Rui's restaurant, wen to the bars, market etc etc. it was excellent)

Although is about Culatra, Armona,is virtually identical to Culatra, ie very chilled, no roads, stunning empty beaches nothing much happens, perfect for kids. Only difference on Armona is there are a few more places to eat.

My (English) Dad has lived in the algarve for about 15 years, and reckons the islands off Olhao are his favourite part.

I loved it so much on Culatra I'm booking a place either there or Armona for new year.

Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

Thank you very much indeed for your response. I feel so reassured. A great help.

Belfast
Level Contributor
295 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

Hi we spent a week there last month. 3 adults and our 5 year old son. The house was great at is on the quiet end of the island only across the road from last restaurant before reaching the coast beach (about 30m walk from the boat). My advise to you is get a granny shopping trolly stile to help with shopping.

Coast beach not to busy but when we were there had lots of see weed.

some families with young kids use the lagoon beach as it has no waves but is is better at high tide.

The island also has a grocery shop but we done 2 trips to main land because shopping in the island was more expensive and the variety wasnt great.

i'm portuguese and know Olhao mainland very well so if you need any info i'm only happy to help.

my email address is sandragreer75@hotmail.co.uk

regards

Sandra

Cambridgeshire
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

I am going in October.....can you wait til then for a reply !!!

Maia, Portugal
Level Contributor
3 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

2 links that will give you an idea of what rmona island is:

www.guiadacidade.pt/portugal/index.php…

http://ilhadarmona.blogs.sapo.pt/?skip=10

Whitehead
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

stayed there for a week in May this year (2009)

Wonderful quiet place to stay. Decent restaraunt at either end of 3/4 mile path way. Also bar and cafe at harbour end. Have to say, by day three we had nothing else to do only sit in the sun. Olhao is a 10min ferry ride and is a very busy large market town. I think I remember a small play park half way up the main path. There are two small food and wine shops. None the buildings along the length of this path are alike and all in different colours. If you are lucky you may find one which backs on to the bay. We seemed to have one of the few with a roof terrace. In May there were very few there and no more than a few English speaking.

The beach at the far end of the main path is enourmous. There are also beachs at either side of the small harbour that one of which curves round to a most beautiful bay that dramaticly changes shape with the tide. Im sure you have 'Googled' the sattelite image of the island by now.

Get answers to your questions about Olhao
Recent Conversations