We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I stay on Armona Island???

Which Olhao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Should I stay on Armona Island???

I am sitting here staring at the deposit cheque for Castaway Cottage on Armona Island for a week next Summer (extremely early I know but I'm desperate to get a holiday in the sun next year!). Has anyone heard anything about this place or, alternatively, do you know of a lovely cottage on Armona Island (if you think it's a good place to go to) that will sleep 5/6. Many thanks!

Whitehead
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

Beaches are super clean, even when the tide is out at the lagoon (I called it a bay on a previous post)

You can get to Island by water taxi, large power boats, we did this on arrival, but its 20e

Ferry is about 45 cents

Locals from Olhao seem to come over for day trips, specially at week ends.

The main 'Tesco/Sains' type supermarket is in Olhao and the indoor markets just at the port are very good. With your back to the port, supermarket is to the right and up the third street. I think the market traders spot the tourists a mile off and hike the prices. I would avoid stalls where the prices are not displayed.

Cross the road from the markets and go up any of the streets to vind the main shopping area with fashion, follow on round to square with huge old church, can also get to supermarket this way.

Olhao, Portugal
12 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

Hello Everybody,

The islands Armona,Culatra and Farol are all great places to stay, just like one person mentioned, maybe the best in the whole Algarve.

Staying in OLHÃO though has its advantages as well, the atmosfeer is also very relaxed, you will find a multitude of restaurants and bars to choose from.in case you like to do some shopping as well or just exploring on foot the charms of this old fishingtown with its local characters "roaming" the streets.

It is very easy and cheap to visit each day another island from Olhão by short ferry ride.

BEM-VINDO www.pension-bicuar.com

UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

Just come back from Armona Island & it really is idyllic. However, not sure whether there's enough to occupy 3 children. Depends on what their expectations are. If they like lazing around & a lot of walking (a good 10 minute walk from the ferry to the Atlantic beach) then the'll love it. However, if they are used to lots of activities & stuff to do, then they'll get bored very quickly.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,872 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. Many children would never get to see a place like that in their lives. Different it certainly is and it would do them some good to unhook from technology for a few days and have to make their own fun.

I recall it is known as 'thinking'.

They might even get to meet some local kids and learn a few new words. After all, playing football on the sand and jumping in the sea is common to all.

Sussex
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

Well in an hour's time we're off to Gatwick for our 2nd visit to Armona this year. Provided you don't need lots of entertainment and like the quiet life, it's heaven on earth! We were there in May and the 7 mile stretch of pristine sandy beach was totally mobbed with 12 OTHER PEOPLE! I understand it does get busy in August. We stayed in Vivenda Marinho the first time - sleeps 8. There were five of us which was great. The ferry is as cheap as chips and the fish fruit and meat markets in Olhao were wonderful. We'd wander over and come back with plenty to BBQ.

The downsides are minor. The island shops are very limited and only open a few hours daily off season. The couple of restaurants aren't cheap but are good value considering the idylic setting. And the sea is not very warm and can be quite rough however there is a tiny inland salt water lake to swim in which does warm up and the lagoon is great. We are off to Coconut Corner this time as there are only 2 of us so I'll report back. Can't wait!

Oh, cheap Aer Lingus flights to Faro as well - £50 return inc taxes etc.

Reading
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

We are looking at visiting Armona next October around the 25th, will shops and restaurants etc still be fully open and what is the temperature likely to be?

Also is it better to stay on the Atlantic or lagoon side of the island?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,872 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

Well based on my one visit you will be chancing it a bit to expect much to be open at the end of October. I hope someone comes along who has done that, especially the previous poster.

Most of the houses, villas or what you will are on the lagoon side. i suspect that if there was a storm let's say and you were on the ocean side, it could be quite interesting!

Also, from 1st October the ferries only run 4 times a day over to Olhao, so you might feel a little isolated unless you sort out the water taxis.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

belfast
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

Good morning I hope my experience on Armona island will be of use. Myself and my partner went to Armona last summer for the first time and we liked it so much we are going back this summer to castaway cottage. We loved the island and the people were so friendly. There is not much to do but there is a play ground and the beaches are beautiful. Sometimes there were only a few people on the beach. The ferry only takes 5 mins or so to get to Olhao which has shops and a fabulous food market. On Armona island there is a grocery shop a fruit and veg shop and about 3 bar \ resturants which we found really cheap and the food was good also. We have been to Seville and Barcelona as well as parts of Italy recently and we couldnt beleive the difference in the price of food and drinks. A bottle of beer on Armona is 1 euro in Barcelona last year it was 5 euro. I hope you and your family have a great time it truly is a great place.

Brenda N Ireland

Lanarkshire
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

we stayed in castaway cottage with our 7 year old daughter last June. Be prepared - it's a shack not a cottage. Ok if you like roughing it. the bathroom is outside - something that doesn't come up on the advert. the outside space is good however. the island is gorgeous and feels very safe for kids with lots of things for them to do if they like 'adventures' and playing on the beach all day long. the island is great, but be prepared, castaway cottage might disappoint you

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

Hi all

Whether you want to stay on Armona Island depends a lot on what you want for your holiday / break.

Long beaches (>9 kilometres), no cars, safe areas which are great for children swimming are some of the highlights. In the summer time there restaurants open at the ferry terminal (you take a ferry for under 2 euros per person), and another Restaurant and a beach bar at the massive Atlantic beach.

Portuguese locals tend to stay near the Ferry side, Holidaymakers often head for the Atlantic Beach, and in between (to the right as you get off the Ferry) is the Laguna and a great area for smaller children to swim (supervised of course!).

If you want a drink in a bar or bite to eat (try the local fish), Armona is fine. If you want swimming pools, discos, traffic and construction noise then do not stay in Armona.

We loved the island so much we set up our own website (www.armonaisland.com), and there are many other places on the island to book.

Note: winters can be quite chilly and/or rainy, so book in Spring / Summer / Fall (or check the weather forcasts as you can get long spells in Winter at 15-18 centegrade day times, much cooler evenings).

ps - if you stay on the Island, do book a Chameleon or Boat Tour with the locals (just look for the Tour sign on the main path).

Get answers to your questions about Olhao
Recent Conversations