We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I stay on Armona Island???

Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Should I stay on Armona Island???

I am sitting here staring at the deposit cheque for Castaway Cottage on Armona Island for a week next Summer (extremely early I know but I'm desperate to get a holiday in the sun next year!). Has anyone heard anything about this place or, alternatively, do you know of a lovely cottage on Armona Island (if you think it's a good place to go to) that will sleep 5/6. Many thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

Hi Quiglo

Pam is aware that Castaway Cottage needs an internal bathroom, and I believe she has arranged for the work to be done. Anyone booking can check with her whether the work is completed or not.

Pam also rents out a lovely house near ours (middle of the island on the Laguna side), and of course our own place now has two internal bathrooms (it sleeps up to 8, so the extra bathroom was essential!).

Hopefully you passed your feedback to Pam directly, but if not we can pass it to her for you.

Dublin
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

Hi

we are staying on Armona for 9 dasy end of May..will let you know how it was when we get back...staying in Refugio dos Putos cottage

Denise

23. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2010, 02:17
Dublin
1 post
Save Reply
24. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

I had booked a holiday in Castaway for the end of the year, but had to cancel our trip. I have to say that Pam was extremely helpful and very courteous. I don't think the pictures of this villa make it look like a shack, and I would've been very happy holidaying there. Each to their own I guess. I would def book this as a holiday location again, especially as there was no issue getting a refund and Pam was so polite.

Glasgow
1 post
Save Reply
25. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

Hi,

I'm off to Armona Island in July (2010) and looking forward to it.

The thought of no cars/motorised traffic is what appeals additionally in the knowledge that the kids will be safe as houses.

For a busier day take the ferry back to Olhao or take the high speed rail link to anywhere you want along the Algarve cosat for cheap-as-chips fares.

Looking forward to a relaxing break.

Tony

Glasgow

Dublin
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

We just came back after 9 nights on Armona and loved it....beaches and scenery fantastic.

We stayed in Refugio Dos Putos and it was beautiful.

Had a look inside Castaway Cottage and spoke with the couple who have it rented this week.... They are not happy and I would not be happy these..foul smells from the drains..basic accomodation...

Rgds

Denise

27. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2013, 14:24
UK
1 post
Save Reply
28. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

It is a shame a comment has been posted by someone who did not stay at Castaway Cottage and therefore had no grounds to intervene. The issue regarding the drains was discussed and amicably resolved between ourselves and Pam before our departure. Pam was not only apologetic regarding the issue - assuring us the matter was to be addressed imminently (she had arranged for plumbers to investigate the drains) but also compensated us sufficiently for our inconvenience.

On a lighter note Castaway Cottage has the advantage of a lovely, huge terrace which gives ample sun in addition to a shaded dining area. The cottage also benefits from not being as ‘crowded together’ as some of the villas, giving more privacy for sunbathing. It is just 2 minutes walk to the Lagoon beach which is very often almost empty. To get a lovely, cool sea breeze, try sunbathing on the sandbanks when the tide is out mid afternoon or walk to the beach to watch the sunset on the horizon. Castaway Cottage is also approximately 15 minutes walk to beautiful Atlantic Beach.

Armona is a wonderfully peaceful island and anyone who likes Sky TV in the bars and English pubs abroad need not bother. On Armona you are living amongst Portuguese people who speak little English, so it’s a wonderful opportunity to soak up the sun and mingle with the locals.

For breakfast I recommend a lovely cup of coffee and (huge) bacon, lettuce and tomato in a homemade bap (€ 7.50 for two) at the Paradiso Café in Olhao. The Portuguese owner speaks fluent English and is very helpful regarding local information.

If you have never been to Tavira do catch a train from Olhao (€ 3.40 each return) Takes about 20 mins and is well worth the visit with it’s lovely riverside café’s and very reasonably priced meals.

achill
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

Oh pickle 807 oh how lovley this island sounds,hope to go to it in the near future thankyou for your post.

achill
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

sorry 897

Get answers to your questions about Olhao
Recent Conversations