We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I stay on Armona Island???

Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Should I stay on Armona Island???

I am sitting here staring at the deposit cheque for Castaway Cottage on Armona Island for a week next Summer (extremely early I know but I'm desperate to get a holiday in the sun next year!). Has anyone heard anything about this place or, alternatively, do you know of a lovely cottage on Armona Island (if you think it's a good place to go to) that will sleep 5/6. Many thanks!

mancheser
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

We too stayed at Refugio dos Putos on Armona. The villa was gorgeous, all your needs catered for with a huge outdoor terrace with a barbecue, hammock for lazing around, a fantastic Morrocan style corner sofa on the terrace - perfect for simply relaxing and a massive table for al fresco dining (that was just the outside!). Inside the 2 bathrooms are clean and contemporary - bedrroms are well furnished and expertly arranged - we are a family of 6 and everyone was more than comfortable staying here. The TV and audio equipment were spot on with full British TV and DVD player. The kitchen is equipped with all your essentials without being cluttered.

Armona itself is a beautiful place - a perfect playground for kids and adults alike. It changes all the time with the tide - particularly around the lagoon beach - at high tide a 'lazy river' effect is created from the lagoon beach to the lagoon as the tide gently rolls in and fills up the lagoon. This is a great place to grab a lilo and let the water take you towards the lagoon - completely safe - the water only reaches a few feet high. You can reach this part of the island within a 3 min walk from Refugio dos Putos - fantastic.

The beaches here are stunning - never crowded - white sand and turquoise sea - what more could you ask for?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

YES !!! an amazing little island set in time forgot.

If you want to see a real bit of Portugal - give it a go... you will be very very pleased you did :-)

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

This will be our first year on Armona Island for New Years Eve!

We are really looking forward to it! Yes, the island will not be as warm and sunny as in mid summer, but I gather the locals (and a few brave/foolish ex pats) all turn up at the pier side restaurants, drink all the lovely local wine they can manage and sample the delicious local Portuguese food.

Fireworks are supplied across the water at Olhao, so the island has to be a great place to watch them.

We'll try and take some photos and share them, so people can also see another side of Armona Island.

Mentioned in this post
Olhao
Olhao
Faro District, Portugal
Faro, Portugal
1 post
Save Reply
44. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

well....congratulations...

I stopped to run the world beaches and islands in august....I have the paradise just 30 minutes from home ( I lived en Faro)...

From 3 years ago, I spend August in Armona and in Houses administrated by Pam Pardo (Palmeiras and Ninho do Neil), and she is a trust person.

So...prepare for one of you best holidays....and like your fellows in Britain islands....you´re just 2 hours maximum from paradise, with a lot of low cost air flights all the year....so you'll be back again...

45. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 July 2011, 17:05
Skiptvet Norway
1 post
Save Reply
46. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

No you should not go to Armona.It´s really boring there.No cars no swimmingpools.You can even go naked on the beach because you don´t meet enyone.No chinees restaurants,pitabars or Mc Donalds.Only cheap good portugees restaurants.Please people stay away from the island I want it for me.

47. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2013, 14:24
belfast
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

We stayed on Armona last Sept, 2010 and absolutely chilled! mentally not physically, the sun shone every day all day. I agree with some posts that shopping is limited on the Island but it's a big ,but easy, adventure to Olhao, where the fruit and fish markets are fantastic and barato!(cheap) We are giving serious consideration to return again this September. If it's nightlife and buzz you're after dont go, If it's to relax and enjoy a break, don't go anywhere else.We stayed in Castaway Cottage and found it to be totally adequate, not the Hilton, but fit for purpose and would return to the same venue. enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Olhao
Olhao
Faro District, Portugal
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
7 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

it is very quiet, no cars no roads, but heavenly for that total getaway, A couple of bars restaurant and small shop. fantastic beaches, shopping is obtained in Olhao which is reached either by the ferry or the water taxi

Mentioned in this post
Olhao
Olhao
Faro District, Portugal
Leyland, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Should I stay on Armona Island???

Just spent a week on Armona in Casa da Ihla [P6537 on Owners Direct] and it was fantastic....I was so laid back when I got home I was nearly horizontal.....if you want nightlife,noisy bars etc don't bother this is a real wind down place.....3 or 4 places to eat...a couple of cafe/bars and everybody so nice....I struggled with my Portugese but it was great....no cars..no noisy motorbikes...the only vehicles are the quad bikes used by the bin men and lifeguards....to sit in the evening with a beer just listening to the late birds and cicadas WONDERFUL....Already booked for 2012

Get answers to your questions about Olhao