We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olhao - what to do and see

Which Olhao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Olhao - what to do and see

Hi,

I am heading to Olhao in a couple of weeks, please can anyone recommend the following;

Child friendly restaurants

Places to visit

Cuisine to try

Beaches

Thanks so much!

Tavira, Portugal
Level Contributor
455 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olhao - what to do and see

Olhao is more of a working town than a tourist resort, but there is still plenty to do.

Child friendly restaurants: All of them!

Cuisine: Grilled sardines, clams (ameijoas), black pork (look for secretos de porco preto).

Beaches: There is no beach directly in Olhao, you need to take the ferry over to the islands of Culatra or Armona.

Hope that helps.

B

www.movingtoportugal.org

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,870 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Olhao - what to do and see

The little ferries across to the islands and the beaches are a treat in themselves. They only take foot passengers. Cars are not allowed on the islands. There are little restaurants and bars, people do live there all year and sandy beaches, but certainly on Armona it's a few minutes walk across the island to the best sandy beach.

It costs 2 Euros to get over to islands, half price for children.

Check the timetable very carefully as they are very infrequent at this time of year.

There are also water taxis. Get the numbers for your mobile, just in case.

There are some nice little shops in the narrow streets of the old part of town, between the waterfront and the wide Avenida.

There is a pleasant restored waterfront with a big new fish market building and lots of little cafés and bars. Just along from there towards the ferries there is a little enclosed pond sort of thing. It usually has terrapins and fish in it, but when I was there last week they had all gone. There's also a playground area for small children.

Olhão has a McDonalds, on the main road at the entrance to town. It's impossible to miss when coming from the airport.

If it's a rainy day, maybe take yourselves over to the Ria Shopping Mall on the edge of town

http://www.riashopping.pt/ing/index.asp

Have a good time.

Hamilton
Level Contributor
430 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Olhao - what to do and see

Hi,

If you are staying down at the Real Marina hotel take the boat trip from the marina across the road from the hotel to Farol Island which is part of Cularta Island, fantastic beaches. You can also use the local ferries which are cheaper but the timetable has been cut back when I was there in September. I think the ferry to Armona leaves at 11:00am and the next one back is at 15:30pm, the times are advertised at the pier at the main port/marina.

There are many fish restaurants but nearly all have a meat option. I really liked Pizza Na Pedra and a restaurant opposite the fruit market which I think was called the house of toast "Casa das Tostas" They serve up a massive toasty which can feed three people no problem. Their steaks were also very good and were quite reasonably priced.

There are a couple of children’s swing/play parks on the water front and a small pool with some terrapins, apart from that I did not see much for children.

In the Real Marina hotel they have a children’s games room with video games and playstations, you had to get controllers from reception.

London
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olhao - what to do and see

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for all of the info - really helpful!

St. Asaph, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Olhao - what to do and see

The Ria Formosa National Park Centre is well worth a visit. 1k to the east.

Has the only working tidal race in Portugal that is still working. Plus a self guiding tour - takes about 2 hours.

Entrance was free when I was recently there but I think they charge sometimes.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Ria_Formosa_Natural_Park

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Olhao - what to do and see

The shopping centre has a great cinema too, all the movies are usually in English and they are usually not very busy, we had a screen to ourselves more than once :). Pizza na Pedra on the waterfront is a lovely restaurant.

7. Re: Olhao - what to do and see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 23:15
Get answers to your questions about Olhao
Recent Conversations