We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Olhao to Zoo Marine?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Transport from Olhao to Zoo Marine?

I'm going to be staying at the Real Marina Hotel towards the end of September this year. My friend and I intend on doing the dolphin experience at ZooMarine. This is actually the sole reason for our visit to Portugal, so i'm intending on booking ahead to make sure that we will definitely be able to go.

However, i've looked at the zoomarine transport and they do not serve Olhao. The hotel said we could do private transfer but that is a LOT of money! I do not mind getting 2 buses or part bus and part something else. But i wondered if anyone could advise the best way for us to be able to get to ZooMarine from our hotel?

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Olhao to Zoo Marine?

The easiest is to take a bus from Olhão to Faro and switch there to a bus to Lagos. Get out at ZooMarine.

For timetables: http://www.algarvebus.info/ (courtesy Cubsur)

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,034 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Olhao to Zoo Marine?

Word of warning. The bus stop at Zoomarine is about 200 metres from the entrance along a busy road with no footpath. It's a request stop, so ring the bell once you pass the village of GUIA and the roundabout with the chicken sculptures on it. Zoomarine is the next stop.

You will also have to change buses in Albufeira. The Faro - Lagos bus does not stop at Zoomarine. The whole trip by bus may be very tedious and time consuming.

From recall there is no actual bus stop sign on the side of the road at Zoomarine coming back. Also expect the bus back at Albufeira to be anything up to 15 minutes late. It certainly is every time I catch it from nearby Algarve Shopping.

Here's a thought - the Faro to Lagos Transrápido bus stops at Algarve Shopping, about 1.5 miles from Zoomarine. To avoid changing buses twice, you could get off there, find the taxi rank and take a taxi for the short remaining distance, and do the reverse to come back. Or get off at Guia (chickens roundabout) and walk the last half mile. It's straight along the main road.

Good luck.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Olhao to Zoo Marine?

Thanks for your help. I don't mind getting a taxi a short distance- it'd just be too expensive from the hotel. So that's definitely an option! I'm not going to book the dolphin experience too early in the morning, just in case it takes longer to get there than we think. I've never actually been to the algarve before, so I have no idea what to expect.

Liverpool, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Olhao to Zoo Marine?

We did Zoomarine by train from Olhao.

It was straight forward with just a change in Faro. We got off at Tunes and got a taxi from the rank outside the station. The train was €9 return for a adult and taxi approx €10 each way.

Edited: 19 August 2014, 09:11
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,034 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from Olhao to Zoo Marine?

Thanks and that option is now in the knowledge base. I don't often see taxis when passing through Tunes so it is reassuring to know that they can be there.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from Olhao to Zoo Marine?

Ok great, thanks. I'll look into trains as well then. I'm hoping it'll all seem easier when I'm there but trying to guess stuff stresses me out! I'll research buses/trains on the net though before going. Only a month away now!

Liverpool, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport from Olhao to Zoo Marine?

Train timetable and prices

www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do…

Tourist Information in Olhao were no help telling us we would have to hire a car but a little study of the train route and we discovered we could do it by train (just checked with a waiter what station would be best to get off at for Zoomarine...think he should be working at the tourist info!!)

There were 2 taxis at the rank in Tunes in the morning and a lot more waiting outside on our return.

Enjoy your trip Melanie

Edited: 19 August 2014, 09:57
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport from Olhao to Zoo Marine?

Thanks very much! That's really helpful.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport from Olhao to Zoo Marine?

My trip is over, so I thought I'd update this for others.

In the end we opted for the train. The people at the stations are helpful and so it's fairly easy. Was €9.10 I think return. We had to change trains in faro as mentioned above, and then go on to tunes.

There were no taxi's outside the station. Apparently you have to call them and there is a number and a pay phone by the rank. However, we were useless and didn't spot this and a kind man from the station rang for us on his mobile. we found people very helpful generally. the taxi came about 5 mins later and the same man said he'd come pick us up from zoomarine later. We told him 5pm (train was at 6pm) in case anything went wrong. But the man was waiting for us outside at 5pm as planned. Taxi was about €12.50 each way and only 10-15 mins journey. So it all worked pretty well!

I think the train journey was about an hour each way but it's easy riding, so time to chill out.

london
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport from Olhao to Zoo Marine?

Hi Melanie s

Thank you for up date

We are Vegetarian so no fish for us he he

Pizza will be good

Kam

Get answers to your questions about Olhao
Recent Conversations