We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

living in tomar region

Which Tomar hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
munster
3 posts
Save Topic
living in tomar region

helo i am thinking of buying a holiday home in central portugal.i would love to hear from somebody that has done the same.i am interested in the tomar region as it is central and has a large resevoir nearby (fishing),how good is the area for swimming,fishing,watersports etc.i have four sons aged 9-16 and am afraid they would be bored especially in spring time(is there heated pools for winter).how good is the weather from october to march.i would love to talk to someone living in the region but any information would be greatly appreciated.

Lincoln
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: living in tomar region

We'd love to know a bit more too! Anyone out there?

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
487 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: living in tomar region

I now live in Lisboa, but lived in the area many years. Tomar, where my parents lived more than 20 years, is a nice quiet old town, with a beautiful former convent (Temple order) and castle and a nice park (Mouchão) in the middle of Nabão river (and a nearby swimming pool). Not far (15 KM), there is a major water reservoir, Castelo do Bode, ideal for water sports (I still go there almost every year for water skying and swimming - as many portuguese), where you can spend a couple of wonderfull days at a "Pousada" on a tiny island in the middle of the river (has a fine pool and all that water around). For fishing, you have the dam, of course, but, better, rivers Zezere and Tejo, not far. Where Zezere joins Tejo, there is also a fine much smaller and quiet little town called Constancia, that I like a lot. Buying on the dam banks, though great and with wonderful views, is more for summer time, the rest of the year might be too quiet and lonelly... but I don't know your life style and purpose, so don't know what would be better for you.

José Manuel

Lincoln
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: living in tomar region

Hallo José Manuel

Thank you so much for replying.

When we were in Portugal last April, we met 3 people who came from Tomar, and they all spoke of it very highly. Their families had lived there for many centuries.

We love Portugal, the Silver Coast and and inland, and Tomar is high on our list of places we would like to settle after leaving the UK.

Lonely is Ok ..... :) when you get older, you join all sorts of clubs like Lions and undertake charity work and have family and friends visiting in the low season, and there is always the internet, and learning the language and so many different people to meet and much to interest us in a new culture.

We have been to Portugal about 21 times, and travelled extensively worldwide, and we keep coming back to your country. There must be a very good reason for that, and this is because of the warmth and humour the people show.

Thanks again for replying.

Gilly and Art

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
487 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: living in tomar region

Dear Gilly and Art

What can I say to someone that already came 21 times to my country? Go ahead and buy a place here!

One of these days I was counting how many countries I know. 36! And some of them several times. Being a portuguese, it might sound pretensious, but here is where I always felt better. In spite of all those things (healthcare, public education, culture, etc) that we still have to improve... and in spite of the weather, cause it is becoming too hot in summer peak!

Tomar and Castelo do Bode are great, don't misunderstand me. I love it, my brother still owns a house in Tomar... and a boat at CB... :)

Explore both margins (Tomar side and Abrantes side), you will find many small places where you can buy a house. I had a piece of land there but had to sell it a few years ago, it was too close to the water and they didn't allow me to build a house there.

But some of my best memories from youth are related to those afternoon returns to the peer, when the sun was going red over the magnific water mirror and I was tired from swimming and skying, but full of feelings.

All the best

José Manuel

Lincoln
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: living in tomar region

Dear Jose Manuel,

Such a gracious response and may I say - typical of the people of your lovely country :)

My first visit was when I was 13, to Lisboa in fact with my mother and sister and it's true I seemed to have been returning to Portugal throughout my life. Everyone has a 'gentleness' about them.it's hard to describe unless you have been to Portugal.......and I believe the healthcare is improving all the time there...or so we were told in April, for example, Coimbra has been voted as having the best hospital in Europe! Your roads and infrastructure have improved so much over the years....education I don't know much about but the Portuguese children are so well behaved and well mannered,education must be good!

Please don't improve your culture!!! It is just perfect as it stands!

Many thanks for the information you have given us, it will be a great help when going over again this September. The Silver Coast is a bit cooler than the Algarve I think...that is too hot in summer even for me! We'll be sure to look at the Abrantes side also.......

If luck allows, we should be settled there by this time next year, and both of us are really excited at the prospect, which is unusual when leaving ones own country permanently. :)

Take care, and thank you.

Gilly

munster
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: living in tomar region

hello,

i posted the origonal question and am very thankful for the response.i am going on a viewing trip to the tomar region in two weeks time,the more research i do the more i am looking forward to spending time getting to know the area,its people and customs.i hope to have a holiday home in time for a christmas break.thanks again for your replies and i will let you know how i get on with the house search.

7. Re: living in tomar region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2008, 05:31
munster
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: living in tomar region

hi again

i am happy to say that i have been on a viewing trip and have purchased a holiday home.the area is everything i hoped it would be and then some,its beautiful.i had a lot of help from derek nicky, claudia and their staff at www.chavetejo.pt

i cannot thank them enough.if you are serious about living in central portugal you should also go to

www.gekkoportugal.com as the previous entry suggested.this site has everything you need to know.

9. Re: living in tomar region

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2008, 05:31
10. Re: living in tomar region

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 04:18