We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off topic but I value your opinions...Egypt

Southampton
Level Contributor
219 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Off topic but I value your opinions...Egypt

Hi! As the title says it's off topic but as I know most of us are lovers of Belek and appreciate the standard of hotels there, I wondered if any of you have been to Egypt and would say it's on par?

Thank you in advance :)

scotland
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off topic but I value your opinions...Egypt

My daughter was a Thomas cook rep in Sharm and ended up as the production manager of one of the biggest hotels over there . She has not been to Belek ,but my other daughter who has been went out to visit her and she was not all that impressed with the food. I would think twice about visiting Egypt just now amid the current political unrest , but that is a personal opinion .

Peter

stoke on trent
Level Contributor
900 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off topic but I value your opinions...Egypt

Been to coral sea resort in sharm, it was lovely, but not as nice as VB, the sea in sharm is to die for and if you could put the hotels in belek by the sea at sharm, you would have paradise! As Peter says though, I wouldn't think of Egypt yet a while

HDH
Saundersfoot...
Level Contributor
511 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off topic but I value your opinions...Egypt

Been to Egypt various resorts and places 3 times and have to state that the food, frinks, service and overall quality is not apatch on what you find in Turkey . I went to a lovely resort called El Gouna last year , but mainly because of the guaranteed sunshine . Hope that helps

Regards Helen

Southampton
Level Contributor
219 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off topic but I value your opinions...Egypt

I kept thinking maybe I was misjudging reviews. Some people on the Sharm reviews are making out Sensatori Sharm to be bliss, but a fair dew are saying the opposite. My heart was saying go with what I know but people I know who have been to Sharm (but not Belek) were saying it was amazing. So confused lol

scotland
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off topic but I value your opinions...Egypt

Not being cheeky donna ,but some people who are used to going to say Spain and never been to Belek ,when they see Sharm they think it is the bees knees having nothing to really compare it with ,as I say my daughter was a Thomas Cook rep for years based mostly in Spain but when she was posted to Sharm she thought it was ten times better than Spain .

Peter

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,209 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off topic but I value your opinions...Egypt

Hi,

Some of the Sharm hotels are of a good quality but the star rating is usually below what you'd expect of a UK equivalent.

Have only been to 1 Belek hotel (Cornelia Deluxe). I'd say it was comparable to some of the better Sharm hotels.

The Red Sea resorts are condidered safe by the UK FO; Brits still flew out amidst the last 3 years of ongoing unrest, whilst other nations were stopped by their "powers that be". Sharm is very quiet (as are all Red Sea Resorts) with some hotels down to 5-10% occupancy in recent wks. Some closed last autumn & remain so.

Generally, people report that they had no hint of trouble when out there & appreciatethe quiet, plus staff being extra attentive. A few have perceived tension (as in frustration, worry, extra hassle to buy) when out & about & some visitors prefer more people so as to add to the atmosphere.

The hassle from vendors in Egypt is & always has been (in 26 yrs of travelling there) a 'pain in the proverbial' & worse than you will ecperience in Turkey

(generally speaking).

Regards

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,209 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Off topic but I value your opinions...Egypt

P.S. have to agree that the food & drink can be very variable in Egypt; Side, Belek & anywhere else we've been in Turkey (with the exception of an Ankara hotel, whose culinary delights resulted in 5a.m. cramps!) has provided better food, overall, with the exception of a handful of meals consumed at tried & trusted places in Sharm.

scotland
Level Contributor
4,098 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Off topic but I value your opinions...Egypt

My best friend goes to Egypt..they love it,,had 7 holidays there, My Son had to go ( with work) and hated it .., he got really ill.....I have not, and wont be going although I love reading the history.. I am very content in Turkey..NEVER in 5 holidays did we get any sickness.

scotland
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Off topic but I value your opinions...Egypt

Once went on a four day cruise to Cairo from Cyprus and was fascinated by the place , especially the Cairo Museum .

Peter

HDH
Saundersfoot...
Level Contributor
511 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Off topic but I value your opinions...Egypt

Hi all

I liked Egypt , gorgeous weather but didn't like the "hassle" but they were all just trying to make a living . nB nit allowed to do this in El Gouna ! Stayed B&B in Old town sHarm no problems at all, then stayed in new Sharm all inclusive was I'll but I still maintain it wasn't the food but other guests whose hygiene left a lot to be desired.

Would always go back to Egypt as the weather is so consistent and the main resorts are so far away from Cairo.

Belek and Turkey have always provided a really good standard of food and I think the Maxx is one of the best hotels I've stayed in and compares very well to some Dubai hotels . Hope this helps Regards Helen